concert or tenor for fingerpicking?

barefootgypsy

Reaction score
I love fingerpicking and am planning to get a new uke - I play a concert, but am wondering whether as time goes on, a tenor would be a better bet for fingerpicking. I don't like a tenor for strumming. I've got long fingers so I'm happy I could manage a tenor. I'm always trying ukuleles out at music shops, but I wonder, what size uke do fingerpickers out there prefer? I'm looking forward to reading your preferences! Thanks! :D

I've only ever played a Tenor.... well I have played a soprano, but only for a few strums XD

I tend to look at your question as someone who has played guitar for many years. So, do you see yourself playing more in high G or low G tuning? As a guitarist, I gravitate toward low G because I am much more comfortable with the lowest notes being on the bottom string. Especially when I'm fingerpicking. It just makes sense to me to have the thumb driving those big low notes. While sopranos and concerts often sound very good in low G, its my opinion that the larger sound box of the tenor is a better fit for low G tuning.

The second consideration is the width of the strings at the bridge. My limited experience with ukes tells me that generally the string width at the bridge is greater on tenors than on concerts. Especially if you have long fingers, you might appreciate the extra space between strings that a tenor would provide. I think most players can adapt, but if you are getting a new uke, why not get what feels most comfortable? For my fingerpicking style that means a tenor. Good luck with your search.

I think it might have as much to do with the type of song you're playing, not so much whether it is fingerpicked or not. A larger tenor size may give more oomph or drive necessary where a concert may give you a more delicate sound. YMMV.

There are a lot of compelling reasons for opting for a tenor for fingerpicking, and if your hands are comfortable with it, that's what I'd recommend.

I'm primarly a fingerpicker but I'm definitely in the minority here - I play soprano. But I'm a small person with child-size hands - I can barely even form a Bb chord on a tenor, and a lot of the classical pieces I play require a 5-fret reach, which I can only do on a smaller scale.

I tend to look at your question as someone who has played guitar for many years. So, do you see yourself playing more in high G or low G tuning? As a guitarist, I gravitate toward low G because I am much more comfortable with the lowest notes being on the bottom string. Especially when I'm fingerpicking. It just makes sense to me to have the thumb driving those big low notes. While sopranos and concerts often sound very good in low G, its my opinion that the larger sound box of the tenor is a better fit for low G tuning.

The second consideration is the width of the strings at the bridge. My limited experience with ukes tells me that generally the string width at the bridge is greater on tenors than on concerts. Especially if you have long fingers, you might appreciate the extra space between strings that a tenor would provide. I think most players can adapt, but if you are getting a new uke, why not get what feels most comfortable? For my fingerpicking style that means a tenor. Good luck with your search.
High G or low G - well, I love the bluegrass style with the high G string played as the ghost-note - but I've heard fabulous music that needs a low G as well - perhaps I should aim for two ukes for finger-picking, one with high G and one with low! Need to save those pennies! It is what's most comfortable that counts, I think - I was wondering whether the all-round wider spacing on a tenor would make for easier placing of the fingers. My fingers are long but not fat.

There are a lot of compelling reasons for opting for a tenor for fingerpicking, and if your hands are comfortable with it, that's what I'd recommend.

I'm primarly a fingerpicker but I'm definitely in the minority here - I play soprano. But I'm a small person with child-size hands - I can barely even form a Bb chord on a tenor, and a lot of the classical pieces I play require a 5-fret reach, which I can only do on a smaller scale.

Thanks for that Jane - :D I need to test out the more awkward chords - but I have a wide reach on a piano... I've also thought of a long neck soprano.

What's a "super" concert? A concert with a tenor neck? Do you have something in mind?

Right. Concert body with 17" scale neck. I'm intrigued by Dirk's Southcoast ukes but his new one's won't be available for a while. If there was an Islander long neck concert I'd order one right away.

I have a super-concert. I've had it about a year and a half. I am not totally "one" with it yet. But I'm getting there. Whenever I play a regular concert now it seems so easy as far as fingering. No more hard reaches. But I still prefer the super-concert. It does not matter which one you play. It is totally a personal preference.

I think that a concert neck just gives you so much more reach. I'm 6'4". I have long fingers. There are things I've written which I find really hard on a tenor, but which fit just right on a concert. It's like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears for me, I guess.

Ernest Ka'ai also wrote some lovely music with some big stretches.

I like the super concert as well, it is kind of a "tweener".
More volume than a concert, but the sweet voice of a concert.
I also like the longer neck and scale for finger picking, just slightly larger frets.

Thanks everybody! I knew I could count on you wonderful folks to point me the right way! A super concert sounds just the thing! I haven't noticed any about on the shop websites over here though - I'll have to get hunting! Any recommendations for a super concert that's not a custom? Can't afford those, much as I'd like to....:D

I'm rubbish at fingerstyle (so far), but my friend who is very good at it thinks my C tuned Baritone is the best fingerstyle uke he's ever played.

I'm going to do the Stourbridge world record ukulele band attempt in August, if you're coming to play at that and haven't bought one I could bring it along?

I'm rubbish at fingerstyle (so far), but my friend who is very good at it thinks my C tuned Baritone is the best fingerstyle uke he's ever played.

I'm going to do the Stourbridge world record ukulele band attempt in August, if you're coming to play at that and haven't bought one I could bring it along?
Wow, I haven't heard about that, when is it?

Hello again. Probably not the most experienced uker to comment, but in my experience of the ukes I've tried for fingerpicking, for me, the larger the better. Being a Double Bassist and Baker for as long as I've been has left me with thicker fingers than I used to have lol. After the Bass and my Super Jumbo guitar I just love the smaller body, hence I chose the uke that I chose. I love the combined extra space on the tenor neck, but I love the smaller body of the concert. The only particular problem I've had with my Ukulele is that the geared heads upset the balance a bit. Personally for me, after a while my uke gets a bit top heavy to hold and becomes a bit tiresome...as lovely as it is I think it could have been improved with friction tuners as the headstock is just that bit too heavy IMO. Like others have said...and I suppose it's the oldest saying in the book, give everything a good try out first and just go for what feels good to you. I kinda feel you've already decided and are looking for that little push to go for the tenor. Good luck in choosing. Nice to have a fun decision to make!

Top Bottom