Joey has a single coming out!

joeybug

Reaction score
Hey everyone :D

So those that follow my updates in the Daily Ukulele will have seen me mention something about a song, and promotion and maybe will have caught that I'm releasing a single. I thought that since it's due for release on May 12th, now would be the time to tell you all about it!

As some of you know, I have been playing Ukulele since August 31st 2010, I joined UU shortly after that and did a song alongside mm stan where we changed the words to the song "Imagine" and that was my first go at song writing. I went on to write eight more songs, the majority of which are never going to be seen by anyone apart from those on my LJ, FB, YT and the posts I've made here.

Some of you may also know that I'm sick. I have a rare form of asthma, M.E (called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the US), Vocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD), depression, Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) and Fibromyalgia (FMS). Now some of you who know me better will know what all that means for my life, others will just know that sometimes all I post is the Daily Uke and other times nothing at all. The one that's relevant to this post is the FMS.

If you don't know what FMS is, here's a good explanation ---> Life is like a game of kerplunk. There is also The Spoon Theory, written for lupus, but applies to so many conditions, including both M.E and FMS

For those of you who don't want to click the links, or know someone who has it, I'm going to be up front here. I am in constant pain, I suffer for every little thing I do, what may be a five on your pain scale is like a three on mine because I'm like this twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. I''m not going to go on about how much I suffer because that's not the point of this post. It's just something you need to know.

Anyway, moving back onto the Ukulele side of things. May 12th is M.E and FMS awareness day, usually I make a post on my LJ and blogs and acknowledge that people should be aware, but have never had anything I could do to *help* them become aware. So, I wrote a song, it's called "It Hurts To Be Me" --- It's being released on May 12th and 100% of the profits will go to The FibroDuck Foundation who are funding research into what causes, what will treat and what may possible cure, Fibromyalgia.

I didn't do it on my own though. Some of you will know Plainsong, she's a close friend of mine and she's seen first hand how bad it is for me some days. I played the song for her and she took it, and made it into the awesome track it is now. She played Ukulele and will possibly do back up vocals, while her husband has done guitar and Bass, she has mixed the song, coached me to sing it and sing it well and what we have now is this track that sounds great (and that's not just pride talking). It's going to be on iTunes and Amazon and a few other places as well and I'd really appreciate it if you would all spread the word and buy a copy. There will be a video out soon too that I'll put up in this post when it's done showing the faces of people with Fibromyalgia, the people, who suffer like me and those who care for them too.

So, I'm asking all of UU to get the word out, to help me raise not only awareness but money for this fabulous foundation to help me fund research that will help so many people stop suffering.

Here's why I did it

Thanks for reading

Joey

P.S Will add video when it's done so you can all hear the song. If it's okay, I'll put a link here or in my sig to buy the track.

Cool. Looking forward to it. Could you rerelease the duet with MM Stan too? I missed that one!

I kind of wish this post had a "like" button. Looking forward to hearing it!

Great news, Bug!

Well, not the Fibro, etc, but you know :)

Seriously, the fact that you've gone ahead and done something that not only helps raise awareness, but also will do some material good in research and management is really great. My wife agrees, but the way, and will be clicking away on May 12. I'd say you should be very proud of yourself, but I don't wanna pad your ego too much :)

And big ups to Plainsong and her hubby for helping out.

This whole thing is very aloha of all of you.

Can't wait to buy it. You are one of my heroes.

Looking forward to making the purchase.

Aloha Joey,
wow that is really cool and awesome...will be waiting...and thank you Plainsong...woo hoo

Cool. Looking forward to it. Could you rerelease the duet with MM Stan too? I missed that one!

It was never "released" but was called "Imagine there's no pain" and I'll find the video for you when I'm not about to head to bed!

Best of luck to you Joeybug..

When it's on iTunes, will it be under the name Joeybug?

The artist name will be Fibro Duck since that's the charity it supports, but the title has *feat Joey Paul...* as well as Plainsong and her husband's name

Last edited:
Yeah, it's weird how things work out. I've had this little descending line progression that went nowhere, for the past couple of months or so. Then Joey came to me with this song. She said she wanted to play with tempo changes, and that the bridge part should feel like it's descending. It just so happened that my little line fit that bridge perfectly, like it was made for it. That gave me the kick in the butt to complete the thought, and now that little line has a home in a song. :)

So I mostly had the song, and Joey gave her thumb's up, but then it changed again when my husband came to the table. He sped it up, and fleshed out the chords more. And that was great for him because he never picks up a guitar. But having an actual goal to figure something out was the motivation that he needed to pick up and play again. For that, I'm grateful to Joey for the chance for my husband and I to play together. Neither one of us can write lyrics.

I tried adding harmonies, but if I can speak frankly here, Joey's voice has balls to it whereas I just come off sounding like a little boy voice that sounds like something's wrong with the recording. :) Joey really really did an awesome job!

I'm sure it'll be ok with Joey if we post the chords when the song is released. Uke players generally like songs that are interactive! :)

Last edited:
That must be pretty cool and very satisfying to see your song on iTunes and Amazon.. Can't wait until the 12th!

It's very weird, it's the same feeling I get when I see my books on amazon, kinda surreal!

Top Bottom