Wondering about body shapes...

finkdaddy

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a new set of permanent jigs and molds and I'm toying with the idea of just slightly modifying the traditional shape of the uke body to get something unique.
I guess I was thinking of something that was very close to traditional, but that someone would look at and think, "Hey, that's a Leeward Lounge uke!"
I wanted to get some opinions about this. Is it too amateur or presumptuous to play with the body shape?
This is the direction I'm going in right now.
It will most likely change by the time I'm done. For example, I think I will be going with a traditional, in the middle sound hole, although I will most likely put in a side port.
Please feel free to give me your opinions, thoughts, and scoldings. :eek:
Page0001.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. How do you plan to do the joint at the butt end?
One item you might want to consider is if it will fit into a standard case or gig-bag (looks like that shape would)

who makes the rules anyways, i say go for it. im in the process of making new molds myself and have opted for a off-set body shape for my concert uke.
I'm in the process of making a new set of permanent jigs and molds and I'm toying with the idea of just slightly modifying the traditional shape of the uke body to get something unique.
I guess I was thinking of something that was very close to traditional, but that someone would look at and think, "Hey, that's a Leeward Lounge uke!"
I wanted to get some opinions about this. Is it too amateur or presumptuous to play with the body shape?
This is the direction I'm going in right now.
It will most likely change by the time I'm done. For example, I think I will be going with a traditional, in the middle sound hole, although I will most likely put in a side port.
Please feel free to give me your opinions, thoughts, and scoldings. :eek:
View attachment 37336

I dig that unique okole! If KoAlohoa can do that pineapple sunday shape, you should be able to do something like that. Maybe even make it a more stylized wave shape?

Or, perhaps, move the wave to the g string side of the upper bout, like this:

wavet top.jpg

Whoops ... I guess I got a bit carried away. Still, the idea of doing something different kine that sets you apart is all cool and the gang.

Make this and I'll buy it...

tn.jpg

Nice, but that tail shape is a signature feature on many of Chuck Moore's nicest ukuleles. If you want something really unique you might want to try another shape.
MB-tail-shape.jpgIMG_1579.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, but that tail shape is a signature feature on many of Chuck Moore's nicest ukuleles. If you want something really unique you might want to try another shape.
View attachment 37351View attachment 37354

DOH!!!!
I promise you, I was not aware of that.
I will change my direction immediately so as not to resemble any of Chucks ukes. :)
That's one of the reasons I wanted to post it first...to make sure I wasn't stepping on anything anyone else is doing.
Thank you for pointing that out. That would have been very embarrasing.

Poidog, I like the idea. I will play around with it more this weekend.
As you pointed out, I want to get an extra 'wave' shape in there somehow without looking to contrived, if you know what I mean.

Thanks everyone!

The one thing I'm slightly sad about is the seemingly complete lack of bookmatched flame or quilted maple Ukes. Is this construction method not possible ?

I really don't know, but often wondered about the acoustic dimensions like volume (not sound volume but "space" inside the body), air resonance, tapping resonance of wood used, wave lengths of all the frequencies, shape balance, bracing effects, hole placement, “aimed” concave corners (?), directivity of the sounds inside the chamber, etc.????? I’m sure there is more than plenty of documentation on the subject “out there”, but this “inquiring mind” likes playing the ukes I have and haven’t chosen to spend the time researching the subject. I would believe that every possibility of size, shape and materials have been tried several times over the years!

Top Bottom