c.1930 Harmony Roy Smeck "Vita Uke" finished up!

Jake Wildwood

Reaction score
I just got finished with this uke this morning -- repairs included hairline reglues/cleats to cracks near the soundhole, cleaning, fret level/dress, a new rosewood bridge, and setup.

What's cool is that the uke was signed/scratched into by seemingly all the members of the 20s/30s group "South Sea Islanders."

Check the pics below and also note that you can check out a whole blog post with more info and pics at my website (click here).

vita1.jpg

vita2.jpg

vita6.jpg

vita10.jpg

Sweet uke! I love old Harmony instrument. Yours is a great example. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

the uke looks fabulous. I'm hoping a wave didn't swamp the uke after the picture was taken.
Is that a bridge of your own design?

Nice job, Jake! I saw this when it was for sale. You really made it look so much better. It was kind of a mess.

the uke looks fabulous. I'm hoping a wave didn't swamp the uke after the picture was taken.
Is that a bridge of your own design?

Jack: Yup, it's meant to be a little longer to reinforce a slightly damaged bridge-foot area. It's patterned on bridges that Harmony used on 12-fret tenor guitars in the mid-20s.

Berg: Thanks! Yeah, it was kind of gross to begin with, but ya know, spit and polish and all that. :) I'm thinking we'll be holding onto this uke for our "private collection" for the time being. It sounds amazing... so full and mellow.

I know, They sound really good..and different. I have one, too. I also play Aquila strings on mine. One of the few ukes, I find, that sounds perfect with them.

Nice, Jake! How old is it?

Top Bottom