chromatic progression problem

finkdaddy

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding the third chord in this progression. Can you fill in the blank for me? C, E7, __, F.
Thanks!

Yes, Am is the logical choice. The only other chord that is commonly found in that progression is F, which you already have as the last chord.

It is not called a chromatic progression though. It is just a modulation.

Thanks you two!
Actually, I figured it out on my own and I think I was looking for a C7 since the bass is following a C, B, Bb, A progression.
But now I may have to try the Am and see if I might want to change that around.
Thanks again! :)

Actually, I figured it out on my own and I think I was looking for a C7 since the bass is following a C, B, Bb, A progression.

Ah, well that's different know that we know what the bass is doing. Your chords are more specifically: C, E7/B, ___, F/A.

So yeah, I think C7/Bb works great in that "blank". You could also try Gm/Bb.

JJ

I'm no expert, but I found a couple of things that sound nice in that sequence (I was strumming a sort of "You always hurt the one you love" strum).

One that I particularly like is a barred chord 7555 (F variant? - name anyone?) which adds a tension waiting to be resolved down to the open stringed F. I would then go back to C on to G7 and back to C to complete that phrase. Hmm, I may even feel a song coming on myself :cool:.

Another I liked was 3555 - again, no idea what this should be called :rolleyes:

BTW I don't know whether I'm notating these chords in the correct way. I'm going from the 1st (A) string upwards - so that 3555 would be CAFC. Is that right, or should it be the other way around?)

I took this thread and I ran with it.

Here is a recording of a song I wrote that grew out of this thread.
http://www.myspace.com/berniarmstrong/music/songs/it-dont-seem-to-make-much-difference-mp3-88240098

Lyrics & Chords below. (PS Chords not positioned correctly after pasting. But if you listen you can hear when they should be changed).

It don’t seem to make much difference if I do

C E7
I want love in the dead of night
FMaj7 D7
Do all those things that used to turn on your light
C G7 C
But it don’t seem to make much difference now, if I do

You had the hunger and I had the thirst
We’d race together and I’d never come first,
But now it don’t seem to make much difference if I do
F C
Once you had the passion of an eager young boy
F D7 G7
My role in life was very plain, I was there just to be your toy
C E7
But now you’ve changed, your fire’s gone dark
FMaj7 D7
I do my best to ignite your spark
C G7 C G7 C
But it don’t seem to make much difference if I do.

Your starter motor is burned out, I fear
Do all I can to get it back in gear.

I can’t accept that the engine’s dead
I use my heart and I use my head,

CHORUS

FMaj 7 = 5557

Last edited:
In order to put chords in the right place for forums like this I have found two options.
1) Put the chord on the same line as the lyric inside parenthesis- [G]
2) Put the chords above the line but use underscores to hold their relative places - _ _G_ _ _ _c _ _ _ D_

Finkdaddy, I hope you managed to hear it at home.

As for the lyrics, all I can say is the devil invented the menopause! ;)

FD, if you follow that link you'll actually be taken to a page which - as you no doubt noticed - doesn't mention the song.

However, it is there. You just click on the play symbol above the list of songs. Hope you have better luck this time. Let me know what you think.

Top Bottom