My uke smells ….Great!

Doc_J

Reaction score
I’ve got a BP paddle mahogany w/ spruce top concert that has a really great scent. I think it is the mahogany, hard to describe…a little like sandal wood. The uke hangs in a gig bag on my home office door and I smell that wonderful scent every time I go past it. Sometimes just the pleasant scent of the wood makes me take it out and play it. This adds yet another dimension to uke enjoyment.

Only two of my ukes have such noticeable scents. Kepasa ukes seem to have a nice cedar-like smell. Most of my ukes don’t really have a scent or just smell faintly like the wood they are made of, or glue, or the finish, or some combination of all those.

Anybody else have a fragrant uke they enjoy?

Last edited:
My mahogany Martin smells beautiful, perfume-maker level amazing.
I dislike scented anything, soap, fabric softener, perfume, cologne, candles, cleaning products, but that Martin smell I would gladly abide in any form.

I just had a sound hole cut on my cedar top classical guitar, and aside from now being able to play with a larger dynamic range because I can "monitor" what the audience hears, I can also breathe in the wonderful smell of the cedar and rosewood from within.

There is nothing better than closing my eyes and savoring the smell of cedar as I play Bach, or pieces like Cavatina, or La Catedral. :shaka:

My Maui Music concert has the most intense interior smell, like a cigar humidifier. I don't even know what is causing it, since the uke is koa. Maybe the braces and linings? I've never heard of koa having a smell like this.

Hi Doc_J. My new Boat Paddle uke smells the same. Could be Jerry's shop. I love opening that case!

My Kamaka HF-3 smells wonderfully good. However the best smelling instrument I own is a Brazilian Rosewood Taylor guitar...heavenly smell! Maybe that influenced my choice in a Mya Moe...? :)

My Kanile'a tenor smells wonderful - like a woodcutters shop!

My ukes smell great , .......it's my playing that stinks .

""My ukes smell great , .......it's my playing that stinks .""
Gigglegiggle. Nice one for to start the day.

I love the smell of my Kamaka HF-1!

My mahogany Martin smells beautiful, perfume-maker level amazing.
I dislike scented anything, soap, fabric softener, perfume, cologne, candles, cleaning products, but that Martin smell I would gladly abide in any form.

In the martins there is mexican cedar lining it and that's what gives it that smell

I love the smell of mahogany in the morning. And koa. And myrtle. And spruce. And cedar. And mango.....

Last edited:
I made a cigarbox ukulele out of a nice Spanish cedar box and it has a sweet smell of cigars and cedar. I love that smell (even though I think smoking is nasty lol).

LOL... You know when I first clicked on this thread I really thought someone had a ukulele that stinks.

As in... My uke smells (bad).....Great! (Now what do I do?)

Guess I interpreted that wrong. Glad it smells great!

I like the smell of Rogue Ukes. No better smell than wood glue and plywood...:rolleyes: :( That is if you're a carpenter and not a luthier.

Last edited:
I like the smell of my old harmony (27) Sears uke, it smells like an old attic, when it is hot out (or I play real hot) it makes me think that it is enjoying the old music I am playing, like it's favorite tune it's owner from the 20's played on it.

I like the smell of my old harmony (27) Sears uke, it smells like an old attic, like it's favorite tune it's owner from the 20's played on it.
Hello Ukuleleblues,
That reminds me....I really must change my socks.
As the sergeant once said.."I have good news and bad news, the good news you're all getting a change of underwear, the bad news...Joe you change with Bill and Sarah you change with Lois."
Jim

I just got a Bruko No. 6 and it has the sweetest mahogany smell I've ever smelled. It is like the inside of a fine cigar box! Love it. I can smell it 5 feet away from the uke too.

Top Bottom