Do I have enough saddle to lower it? (Photos)

bearbike137

Reaction score
Hi all. I am new to setting up ukes (though I have been setting up guitars for years). I am trying to decide whether or not to keep a new Kamaka Tenor that was just sent to me. I LOVE the tone of the uke, but the action is a bit high at the 12th fret: 3.2 mm. I was hoping to bring it down to something closer to around 2.5 mm. However, I'm not sure I have enough saddle to do that (and still have adequate saddle remaining). The string height at the 1st fret is .8 mm. Please see photos below. Any thoughts? Thank you.

kamakasaddle2004.jpg

kamakasaddle2003.jpg

Last edited:
You can keep your eye on the break angle, as the string comes from the tie to the saddle. I don't want to bother you unduly but a shot from the tie to the bridge would clarify and be advantageous for other replies.
PS: From the two shots and looking at the 1st one closely I would say 1mm or 3/64ths from the saddle would be the 1st order of business. Take it in little increments at a time.

Last edited:
You should still have string clearance over the front of the bridge.
I've had perfectly fine saddles lower than what you have planned.

As Doc_J has said keep your eye on the clearance as the string leaves for the nut also.

probably , but my eyes are not good enough to see exactly how much saddle you have there. to take the action down that much you'll have to take .7mmx2=1.4mm. I have one uke I bought used that has action that low and only has about 2mm of saddle above the bridge, not ideal as this makes the angle of the strings beyond the saddle very shallow, but the uke plays fine. personally, if it was a new uke I wouldn't fool with it, unless it was a cheapy, which this isn't. You might run into other problems like buzzing strings. let the place you are buying it from do it. you could always make another saddle for experimental purposes out of almost anything [wood, plastic] and see what it looks like.that way you are not altering the original. hope that helps. I would think a store would set it up how you want it before sending it though.

Last edited:
You can keep your eye on the break angle, as the string comes from the tie to the saddle. I don't want to bother you unduly but a shot from the tie to the bridge would clarify and be advantageous for other replies.

Good point - I will take another photo when I get home this evening. Thank you.

My Tenor Pono measures .8mm at the first fret and 2mm at the twelth fret (top of fret to bottom of string), the saddle height measures 3mm just like yours.

You can sand the saddle down but, you'll have to hold the saddle with some type of clamp because your fingers won't be able to grip the thin saddle.

Also, is the Fret Board straight?

Last edited:
Hey - I appreciate everyone's help, but I have decided not to mess with this uke. I have it out on trial and it seems there are enough question marks for me that I am going to return and keep looking for "the one". Thanks again.

Top Bottom