how much do you practice

hawaii 50

Reaction score
how much do you practice? i am older and have more time on my hands..just wondering what is average practice time for you? and is there such a thing as too much practice..which in turn will hurt your ukulele playing.. thanks

I try to get at least 15 solid min. in per day. I like to get a solid hour but that seldom happens. I've heard from some people that 15 min. a day is better than 3 or 4 hours once or twice a week. I believe it and have been following that practice and found my playing has gotten much better recently. I have found that taking a day off once in a while has helped my playing, too. I think it give your muscle memory a little break to sink in :)

I try to practice 30 min a day. Thats in addition to playing... which is a totally different thing.

Sometimes 6-8 hours, most 2-3 hours. Really depends on my wife & what SHE has planned for me to do . Great life when she is gone with girlfriends & then its play all day

how much do you practice? i am older and have more time on my hands..just wondering what is average practice time for you? and is there such a thing as too much practice..which in turn will hurt your ukulele playing.. thanks

I'm new and enthusiastic. I'd say that I put in at least 30 mins a day and more like an hour+ when I have time on the weekends. There are a few days during the week when I can't get to it. Then, if I'm home alone, it won't leave my hands for 2 hours. So...it sort of balances out.

I'd say any amount of time you put in and are still enjooying it is fine. That's the basic rule I apply to myself. If I'm playing/practicing and I find I'm not really digging it, I stop and wait til the craving takes me again. Some days that's like 20 minutes, other days it never comes.

You can cause wrist or tendon problems if you practice/play too much. That happens to me every once in while.

Right now? About 2 hours a day.

2-3 hours a day, down from 3-6 hours. The time is divided up between the uke's, guitars and basses.

I think about 1-2 hours a day - most days. I work from home so I pick up the ukulele a lot for short intervals. I try and play for a longer solid block before bed.

I never think of it as practicing, just playing... but if I don't get at least an hour in each day, I don't feel right. I try to aim for 2 hours on weeknights, 4 hours on weekends, but sometimes work gets in the way of my good intentions.

I probably average an hour a day, 5-6 days a week. I've practiced 3+ hours several times and other times I've lost track of how much I've been playing but I'll always quit when my wrist starts to hurt a bit or get tired. I don't want to take the chance of messing things up and needing any kind of medical attention. I've been playing about 2 months and I've never yet felt practice to be any kind of chore or burden. I've just really been enjoying myself and playing.

I can't wait until I'm done with school (6 months from now, hopefully). I'll be playing and practicing everyday!!

Now I feel guilty every time I pick up an uke and not write my dissertation :( But once I pick it up, I barely can put it down!

I play about 1-3 hours a day most days. Some days not at all - but very few days like that occur. I'm lucky to be able to play at work, and I have several ukes strewn about so they are handy.

I don't practice nearly enough. But I have a question. What is everyone's practice routine? Do you just play songs that you know, work on new songs, or do you do scales and stuff? Just curious. I try to learn new chords and then work on songs.

I never think of it as practicing, just playing... but if I don't get at least an hour in each day, I don't feel right. I try to aim for 2 hours on weeknights, 4 hours on weekends, but sometimes work gets in the way of my good intentions.

Jane how could you let work get in the way of your intentions of playing your uke? LOL
I play till my hands start to get sore, usually about 30 or so minutes. More on my days off.

I just play. Learn new songs and try to be better at old songs. I probably go for 1/2 hour intervals several times a day. Some days I feel like I'm in a fog though. I'm a pretty good strummer but still want to learn more and be better. I suck at picking and fast intricate finger work on the frets. I don't know if I'm just not able to do it or what. I have big hands and fingers and I'm envious of people with long slender fingers who race through the frets and can really make their pinky finger stretch and work for them. I don't read music very well either and read tabs, chords or fiddle around until I figure something out and then write it down in tab form. Started too late in life I guess to learn music theory and my mind is like cement sometimes. I'm a good artist though and love to build in wood. Music theory?... sometimes I feel like a dope. The heart is willing though. Just wish it came easier.

Jim

Being retired, I can play however much I like. I started a uke club which takes a fair bit of my time: devising new songsheets, updating the website, answering emails, etc. but I've learned a lot from doing that.

I am also teaching myself how to play the U-Bass. Does that count as ukulele practice?

I would say I've got a uke of some sort in my arms 5 hours a day and I enjoy every minute.

Top Bottom