JazzFest Live on Yootoob...

Eddie Vedder was the for-sure uke act this year, so his cancellation was a real disappointment. Maybe next year we can get James Hill or Victoria Vox. I know Jake is welcome to make another visit to the Crescent City anytime.
Youtube has some great highlights. Glad the Jazz and Heritage folks put the feed up on Youtube for everyone to enjoy, but Youtube can't convey the fun of having 10 stages to choose from, y'all need to come to New Orleans to experience it.

Eddie Vedder was the for-sure uke act this year, so his cancellation was a real disappointment. Maybe next year we can get James Hill or Victoria Vox. I know Jake is welcome to make another visit to the Crescent City anytime.
Youtube has some great highlights. Glad the Jazz and Heritage folks put the feed up on Youtube for everyone to enjoy, but Youtube can't convey the fun of having 10 stages to choose from, y'all need to come to New Orleans to experience it.
oh NOLA, it's my dream festival. Hmmm...one day. I always follow it as closely as I can from afar. But this feed is special, I know what I'll be doing most of the weekend

You gotta come over, Jon. Seriously!

A lot of people don't realize this, but the Jazz Fest was originally begun as a way for the people of New Orleans to celebrate my birthday. I am therefore required to make at least one annual appearance. Since the birthday is May 2nd, I went yesterday, the day after. Thursdays are my favorite anyway. Far fewer people than on the weekends, and it's not like you need to see the "Big Names" to see great stuff at Jazz Fest.

This year something funny was going on. I think they may have gotten a little tired of me - maybe they decided that the Thursday should be in honor of our own Nickie who also popped up on the 2nd of May. I say that because it was pretty much total domination by the ladies.

Before we even got to the track, we heard this long soulful organ intro. "Let's catch this," I told the sweet wife, "these guys sound great!" As we got there the vocals began and the guys were led by Mia Borders. This is what I love about the Jazz Fest - people you've vaguely heard about and never got the chance to see - then you stumble on them at the Fest and Whooooooa, Nellie! Home girl Tore! It! Up! Maybe the highlight of the day.

One lady after another: Rosie Ledet & the Zydeco Playboys (tore it up again), Regina Carter (set you floating on air), Ani de Franco (with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Pete Seeger's "Whose Side are You On?") and despite some tech problems (electric bass only - no acoustic), a great set from Esperanza Spaulding.

This was at the end, and I wanted to see if Jimmy Buffet was going to pull out an ukulele during his acoustic sit-in for Eddie Vedder. I went the wrong way, and as usual, was rewarded with another unexpected joy from that wonderful line-up of ladies. Florence & the Machine - I had heard the name before and knew nothing more - simply ethereal!!

BTW, while I didn't see the whole show, Jimmy had a pile of acoustic instruments on stage behind him. Ukuleles are small and I couldn't get too close to this stage (unlike the other shows). Just the same, I don't think he had one. Maybe intimidated enough to play that big crowd without a band - probably wanted to stay in familiar territory.

It's hard to find better food anywhere, got to chat with the Big Chief of the Osceolas (they don't come Uptown into our tribe's turf - and they better not try!), some furniture builders and even a guitar maker in the craft area. Various types of parades make their way through the grounds. Not a bad way to spend the day.

Yeah, Jon - gotta' come on over!

Last edited:
Jimmy Buffett playing uke now on one of his classics.....QUICK (a KoAloha)

Top Bottom