Dulcimer maker suggestions

Doug W

Reaction score
My wife has been playing the dulcimer for a while now, using a borrowed instrument that was made from a kit. It is OK but not wowie zowie and there are some intonation issues.

Any suggestions on ducimer builders would be appreciated. I know I can Google up builders but I would appreciate hearing from people who have direct experience with a builder or more importantly, that builder's dulcimers. Probably looking in the $500-$700 range.

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:
Mountain Dulcimer or Hammer Dulcimer?

There is an online group nearly as active as this one. They talk about builders frequently and have links to some of the best ones.

http://everythingdulcimer.com/

I've seen some amazing vintage/used dulcimers on ebay that would save you hundreds of dollars. Famous makers, fabulous woods and designs, scrolled pegheads,
:drool: I built one once, but I don't think that's what you have in mind, LOL

Look at them, if you find possibility, check it out with other sources.

McSpadden dulcimers from Mountain View, Arkansas builds wonderful mountain dulcimers, and they have a good variety of standard models and wood choices in your price range.

I don't own one yet, but every time I head up to Mountain View to listen to the locals play old-time music around the town square, I stop by the dulcimer shop (right by the Ozark Folk Center), where they know to drag out one that's strung left-handed for me to enjoy. A redwood-topped, walnut baritone is my personal first choice, but the standard models of cherry or walnut (in two sizes) sound great, too.

mcspaddendulcimers.com

I've got a Gibson dulcimer....no not THAT Gibson, a Ron Gibson Kentucky model dulcimer. Very nice and well built, solid wood instrument. It sounds great, holds it tune and is a quality, luthier built instrument. Also came with a free case as well. ron was excellent to deal with in every respect.

http://gibsondulcimers.com/index.htm

I'm a pretty acomplished dulcimer player. The good news is you can get a real nice dulcimer for a reasonable price. There are many well-respected dulcimer brands out there. I will list a few that come to mind, but would suggest you check out ED for more specific information on brands.
McSpadden
Folkcraft
Blue Lion
Doug Berch
Jim VanderWoude
David Lynch (Sweet Woods)

I would stay away from the less expensive dulcimers. They may be decent, but you won't be happy with them in the long run. I would also be cautious with EBay....as with ukes or any instrument, you don't know if they are set up or have issues. Good luck.

Top Bottom