Fifth fret

Thinker

Reaction score
Just tried to play crazy G, but I can't seem to get my pinky to the fifth fret with my ring finger on 2. Does this get better? I have smaller side of the spectrum hands for a guy my size (6'), but not unusually small.

Last edited:
Just triedmtomplay crazy G, but I can't seem to get my pinky to the mirth fret eith my ring finger on 2. Does this get better? I have small hands for a guy my size (6'), but not super small.

No, I've been playing for a couple of years and I still can't get my pinky to the mirth fret... :)

Seriously, yeah, it gets better unless you actually have a medical condition that would limit your mobility. THe muscles and tendons and joints in your hands are just like those in the rest of your body - stretch them regularly and they will move further, faster, with less pain.

John

With practice you will be able to reach further. I can now barre at the 2nd fret, and get my pinky to string #1, 7th fret (on a tenor neck). I couldn't do that when I was just starting out, even with guitar experience. Just keep practicing. If it proves to be a nagging problem, go for a shorter scale uke. You are playing a tenor, after all, and you will notice a difference if you move to a concert or soprano. Some songs are better for me on a concert or soprano (for long stretches), while other songs work out better for me on a tenor (for tight fingering on frets higher than the 7th).

–Lori

Mirth Fret! I love typos!

I'll keep working on it. It feels impossibly far away, but I've been watching the ease in which others do it.

I can now barre at the 2nd fret, and get my pinky to string #1, 7th fret.

I can do that on a soprano :) Anything else, forget it.

It does get better with practice, but there are limitations and those of us with small hands may never be able to do some of the things we see others do with ease. I don't think it's always just small hands that are the problem, it can be the length or shape of the fingers themselves (for example, my pinky fingers cure inward toward the ring finger, making my reach even shorter - practice isn't going to change this because it's the way my bones are shaped). On the plus side, though, sometimes these limitations can be an advantage - I hear people always talking about needing "more room" when they play; this has never been an issue for me :)

Whoa!! I took a day off and I can suddenly reach pretty well!! What is that all about?

I have found that my thumb position on the neck is key to my reach on the fretboard. Try dropping your thumb downtown to the middle of the neck.

I have found that my thumb position on the neck is key to my reach on the fretboard. Try dropping your thumb downtown to the middle of the neck.

Thanks! Contrary to my name, now that you mention it - I've been doign this without thinking about it! I'll pay more attention now.

Top Bottom