Holding the Uke

luluwrites

Reaction score
When I searched the forum for advice I found lots of discussion about whether folks rest their uke on their knee or clamp it under their forearm, but my question is about how the neck rests in the left hand.

While at the guitar shop yesterday, I was told that I ought to be placing my thumb tucked behind the neck (like when barring chords) instead of resting the neck in the spot between my forefinger and thumb. The guitar shop owner said this would limit fatigue, make it easier to transition between chords, and permit me to move up and down the fretboard more easily.

So, yesterday I tried his method during my usual hour of practice. I found it uncomfortable, tiring, and my uke bobbled about so much I feared I'd drop it. Now my hand hurts.

Tell me, wise experienced types: how does one hold the uke in one's left hand? Should I persist with the guitar shop owner's method and hope that practice makes this more comfortable?

Last edited:
The guitar shop guy described the "'proper" way of holding it. This is the way I learned and it does allow easier chord changes and helps moving up and down the neck. But if you are more comfortable playing the other way then go ahead and play that way. If it is painful to you the other way, you may want to change the position of the uke like instead of holding it horizontal try angling the headstock up a little. But you should play the uke whichever way you are happy! Good luck!

I use a combination of both styles. When the need to barre a chord comes up, I put my thumb on the underside of the neck. After the barre chord is done, the neck then lays between the thumb and index finger. I hope you follow that!!! Most important is do what feels good to you. There is no real right or wrong way!

I have been trying to hold my thumb behind the neck, the "proper way" but I just naturally leave the neck in the "V" of my hand as well. I find it more comfortable and so far haven't really had any issues that way as I'm learning. What's odd for me, is that I have found it a lot more comfortable and much easier to fret chords by holding the neck of the uke more upright, almost as straight as an upright bass, ala Slash of GNR. It probably looks odd but I think whatever works for you to play is fine in the end.

I know your problem well. I came from a classical guitar background, and the neck of the uke was falling all over the place with my technique. A strap makes a world of difference. If you don't want to drill a hole for a strap button, a Uke Leash will hold the neck steady for you, and you can completely let go between notes and chord changes.

–Lori

Thanks for the advice and support, all. I tried the thumb behind method again today and it's still causing discomfort. I think I'll return to my old bad habits. . .

By the way, the guitar shop owner was really patient and helpful -- and I just realized that he is probably Kevin Crossett.

Last edited:
I played guitar for years - I found when I switched to uke that it works better for me nestled in the crook between my thumb and index finger...until I bought a baritone - with the baritone I have to put my thumb behind the neck again to avoid inadvertently muting the A string on some chords.

It depends on me what chords I am playing or what key.... and the transition and how strong and long your fingers are...

Holding the uke comfortably and effectively as you play is one of those things that people can try to explain, but it's really something that you need to learn on your own through practice/trial & error. Trust me, most of us have been there.

As for what I do personally - it depends on what I'm playing. If I'm fingerpicking, I use more of the classical guitar approach. If I'm playing chords / strumming, then I hold it more in between by index finger and thumb. Watch some YouTube vids of people playing to see what they do.

I would love if some enterprising person would post pictures so I know exactly what people mean by their descriptions.

Anyone have the time and inclination? I promise to say nice things about you!

I know your problem well. I came from a classical guitar background, and the neck of the uke was falling all over the place with my technique. A strap makes a world of difference. If you don't want to drill a hole for a strap button, a Uke Leash will hold the neck steady for you, and you can completely let go between notes and chord changes.

–Lori
When I started to play the uke I was driven mad by exactly the same problem. Now I use a combination of holds, as others have said, but I use a uke leash too, and I really do recommend it. It holds the neck very steady for you and is very comfortable. Good luck - stick with it! You'll get there! See Lori's site ukeleash.com

I would love if some enterprising person would post pictures so I know exactly what people mean by their descriptions.

Anyone have the time and inclination? I promise to say nice things about you!

Here's an example. Not of me, but some other guy who plays the ukulele. Note that he does most of the "holding" with his right arm and body, freeing up his left hand from having to support the uke.

Here's an example. Not of me, but some other guy who plays the ukulele. Note that he does most of the "holding" with his right arm and body, freeing up his left hand from having to support the uke.

That's not you?

And that IS a tenor, yes? I'm trying to do more supporting of the instrument with my right arm and body, but I haven't found the exact right way to do this with my soprano. But I won't give up -- and it seems to be getting easier every day.
Also, I'm investigating the uke leash . . .

When I started playing, I couldn't quite get the hang of holding the ukulele, and the Uke Leash made a big difference for me--it allowed me to concentrate on changing chords instead of supporting my uke's neck. I now have a ukulele with a strap button, and my Uke Leash has been converted from a half strap to a full strap using an adapter that Lori (the Uke Leash lady) sells.

Yeah...but that "other guy" does use a strap sometimes especially when he's standing, which it seems he's doing more these days.

Thanks, but I meant pictures from the back to show the thumb position discussed in this thread.

Last edited:
I realize this is an old-ish thread but I just came across it while looking for information on holding the uke and it's left me more perplexed than ever.

How in the heck is it even possible to play a uke with it "nestled in the crook between my thumb and index finger"? When I do that my fingertips lie well above the top of the fretboard. There's no way I could press a finger onto the A string. I've tried. Can't be done. Here, photo:
IMG_20120627_135909.jpg
And here's a photo of me playing a C7. Note huge gap between thumb/index crook and neck:
IMG_20120627_135935.jpg
The thumb is way down behind the neck. Okay, I can play a C7 with the thumb up higher, but only if I rotate my hand so the neck is resting on the heel of my palm. It's still not really supported by the thumb/index crook.

So am I completely misunderstanding what you people are saying, or is my hand anatomy so entirely different from other people's?

And here's the related question that brought me to this thread in the first place: I've lately started to move beyond strumming, trying a couple of the simpler tabs in the Lute to Uke book. Question is: How to hold the uke when all you're playing is open strings? Of course it's never all four strings, so I guess you could press a finger on a string you're not playing. That seems awkward to me though. So does putting a finger on or a little above the nut. If I were playing with the neck cradled in the crook between my thumb and index finger I could just leave it there; but, as said above, I can't see how I can possibly play like that. In theory if the body were really solidly clamped between my arm and my torso that'd work, but in practice the neck wants to swing down or forward as soon as I let go of it.

I do have a strap on one of my ukes, and that seems to solve the problem. But I'm wondering how it's done without a strap.

Yeah...but that "other guy" does use a strap sometimes especially when he's standing, which it seems he's doing more these days.

When I asked Jake about his use of the strap he said we was starting to get a sore shoulder from holding the uke up at concerts night after night. BTW - the strap he uses his homemade from parts he got at Home Depot.

I have just recently started using a strap and it has been a really welcome change. The thumb behind position is now possible without the uke bobbling around, and some of the chord changes that have always been sketchy for me are coming with greater ease now. I recommend that you at least try one - it's not a huge investment and it may make a big difference for you.

Top Bottom