My Mya-Moe build start date is tomorrow. I'll be watching the uke tracker religiously

Haha - both of ours will be on the tracker at the same time (I'm #733). Love the wood you picked out - was that from the "homecoming queen" set? Congrats.

Cool beans! I like both of the choices. I just put down a deposit to secure a start date and will go the tenor route with either mango or myrtle so it will be interesting to follow these two. Kim, I'm leaning towards doing the headstock to match as well.

Last edited:
Yes...Homecoming Queen...from Char's Body Shop. :)

Off to look at yours now! Congrats!

Eyeguy - In making my choices, I did everything possible to emphasize the wood. Matching headstock, no fret markers, no abalone, a non contrasting binding, etc. Wanted nothing to distract or detract.

Can't wait to see if it comes out as imagined. Take a look at #757 for a view of the first Homecoming Queen completed.

Congrats on taking the plunge. Good luck with the wait!

Congratulations! It must feel amazing to know that a Mya Moe is being built just for you. Better start working on your first song together now. Wouldn't want to disappoint your new baby when it arrives ;)

Nix

Congratulations! It must feel amazing to know that a Mya Moe is being built just for you. Better start working on your first song together now. Wouldn't want to disappoint your new baby when it arrives ;)

Nix

Ain't She Sweet seems appropriate! :)

Congratulations. #757 is gorgeous, and I'm sure your "homecoming queen" ukulele will be just as beautiful. I recently became the proud owner of #635 and #669, and for me, watching these ukuleles getting built from day to day was both fun and a little agonizing, but the time went quickly and I suppose I now have the ukulele equivalent of in utero sonograms to show your friends or put on your refrigerator. :) I'll be checking in to see how your uke turns out.

Dang Kim, you got the Homecoming Queens set. Wow Congratulations! That is one of the prettiest sets I've seen from Char. We forget how special some woods are and once they're gone, there isn't going to be another like it. Gordon said the same with the BluePond Myrtle (461)I have. He had enough to make 13 sets from the one board he bought and that's it.

I was blessed that I didn't have to wait the 7 months because I bought from a guy whose number came up for a Moore Bettah build. I may have liked a 1 1/2" neck but am not complaining at all. The MM is the best neck I've played so far on a uke, they are flawless. I may have picked a matching headstock also but the standard one really grew on me after I got it. I like that they are all a bit different. I think I may have gone for a cedar or redwood top rather than all BP Myrtle. But again sure ain't complaining.

Congrats also Tim, it sounds like you are having to pick from two exceptional wood for a uke. It's a tough life isn't it!

Loz, I've seen a couple of the chocolate Mango MM's. They are stunning; really a great choice for sound and looks.

I'm looking forward to the builds you guys picked out. I can assure you that you will be extremely satisfied. Going with a MM is a wise choice. What type of tuners are you going for?

Last edited:
Congratulations. #757 is gorgeous, and I'm sure your "homecoming queen" ukulele will be just as beautiful. I recently became the proud owner of #635 and #669, and for me, watching these ukuleles getting built from day to day was both fun and a little agonizing, but the time went quickly and I suppose I now have the ukulele equivalent of in utero sonograms to show your friends or put on your refrigerator. :) I'll be checking in to see how your uke turns out.

Nice ukes! Does the Walnut binding look good in person? I selected it too.

Dang Kim, you got the Homecoming Queens set. Wow Congratulations! That is one of the prettiest sets I've seen from Char. We forget how special some woods are and once they're gone, there isn't going to be another like it. Gordon said the same with the BluePond Myrtle (461)I have. He had enough to make 13 sets from the one board he bought and that's it.

I was blessed that I didn't have to wait the 7 months because I bought from a guy whose number came up for a Moore Bettah build. I may have liked a 1 1/2" neck but am not complaining at all. The MM is the best neck I've played so far on a uke, they are flawless. I may have picked a matching headstock also but the standard one really grew on me after I got it. I like that they are all a bit different. I think I may have gone for a cedar or redwood top rather than all BP Myrtle. But again sure ain't complaining.

Congrats also Tim, it sounds like you are having to pick from two exceptional wood for a uke. It's a tough life isn't it!

Loz, I've seen a couple of the chocolate Mango MM's. They are stunning; really a great choice for sound and looks.

I'm looking forward to the builds you guys picked out. I can assure you that you will be extremely satisfied. Going with a MM is a wise choice. What type of tuners are you going for?

Thanks for your kind remarks. :) Initially, I wasn't sure about the Homecoming Queen wood as I couldn't imagine it finished. Once I saw 757, I was happy I pulled the trigger. I believe mine will be the first HC without the cutaway which should result in seeing even more of the sash.

I went with Pegheds -which is only decision I'm questioning at the moment. Aesthetically, I would have preferred the tuners with the amber buttons. But, I didn't want to choose looks over function.

This is pretty exciting to finally see one in progress for someone i can talk to. Mine is #775 scheduled to start July 2. That homecoming queen wood on the finished uke referenced below is one of the most spectacular patterns I've seen so far in my young life.

For myself, I prefer the tuners. Probably because I am an old guitar player. I have the pegheads on my MM and also my Griffin soprano and they work fone and look great.

This is pretty exciting to finally see one in progress for someone i can talk to. Mine is #775 scheduled to start July 2. That homecoming queen wood on the finished uke referenced below is one of the most spectacular patterns I've seen so far in my young life.

Yes, VERY exciting! Nice wood. :)

Nice ukes! Does the Walnut binding look good in person? I selected it too.

It's low contrast and it matches some of the grain colors in the striped myrtle my uke is made of. I had seen another striped myrtle baritone ukulele, #625, that had a bloodwood binding. If you like low contrast binding, walnut's a very nice choice (Char recommended it to me, and she has a good eye for this stuff.) When I have time to take some photos, I'll post them in this thread.

Last edited:
I wasn't brave enough to go with the bloodwood but did consider Koa and Maple (from some contrast). In the end, I went conservative with the Walnut. Love to see more pics.

Top Bottom