Custom Uke Questions

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
Closer to the end of the year I am going to commission a custom uke. I'm looking for any suggestions on a builder. This is what I know so far.

$1500 budget
Solid cedar top
Solid zebrawood or rosewood b/s???
Figured maple binding and rosett???
Slotted headstock
Waverly gears
Active pickup
Chunky neck
Extensive neck inlay
Indian rosewood fretboard???

That's the basics. Any input is appreciated :)

Try Wiilie Wixom. He will fall within your budget, I think.

What kind of input are you looking for? It is your custom uke.

Griffinukeuleles.com. Brian is a great luthier who love a challenge. I'm not sure on the bling inlay you want done but if it's a great playing uke with fantastic woods, he's the one I would consider. He spends many hours just on the french polishing

You might be able to squeeze a Mike Pereira in for that. I assume you're talking a tenor. Mike is fantastic for trying to do whatever you want. I have a zebrawood ukulele from him, and I know he's done a number of rosewood ukuleles. He prefers redwood to cedar, but I'm sure he's worked with cedar. His necks aren't overly chunky, but he spent much of his career making just necks, so they're awfully nice.

www.mpukuleles.com

Try Dave Talsma! That's exactly how much mine cost with all the bells and whistles.

I think the Waverlys, "extensive inlay", and the pickup are going to push you over budget.

Most builders can do a little bit of inlay, but "extensive inlay" is a very specialized and time consuming task. In my opinion, very few builders can pull this off. The ones that can do it want to be paid appropriately. It's a very expensive job.

Good luck

Last edited:
I think the Waverlys, "extensive inlay", and the pickup are going to push you over budget.

Most builders can do a little bit of inlay, but "extensive inlay" is a very specialized and time consuming task. In my opinion, very few builders can pull this off. The ones that can do it want to be paid appropriately. It's a very expensive job.

Good luck

Agreed,

Make sure you pick the right luthier as that seems on the low side of what you are asking so you won't have many to choose from at that price point.

I've heard Ryrod's youtube videos and his uke sound fantastic...that might be the way to go.

Try Wiilie Wixom. He will fall within your budget, I think.

I agree, Willie might be able to stay close to your budget. His prices are very reasonable.

Thanks for all the input folks. I will probably have to dumb down the inlay. Love RyRods talsama. Definitely on the short list of builders.

I have some comments for you. First off, don't say "solid wood" like its something special. It's not, it's the norm. There are a few builders that will laminate parts, like sides.

Your challenge will be finding the builder that can work with the woods you requested.

Personally, extensive inlay in a EIR fretboard, I'd probably shy away from that. Also, most fretboard inlays are over $1K, so maybe a good idea to cut that out.

You have very specific requests, and a very low budget. This will greatly narrow the field of builders that will take you on. Just something to be aware of.

And just my $.02, if that.

Aaron

Willie Wixom fits your build spec's. Not sure about the extensive inlay. Check out Willie's website, he built a Tenor with an unstained Mahogany top with Zebrawood back and sides, curley Maple bindings and a slotted headstock.
I had the chance to inspect and play it......wonderful. Nice neck profile but too chunky for me.
The only reason I didn't buy it was I had my own ideas for a custom for me due this month. His wait list is now at Jan. 2013.
Good luck in your upcoming build..........................................BO................................
Oh, Steve van Pelt would be another Luthier to consider...he builds nice ukes too.......

Last edited:
I can push the budget a tad but once I cut so much out its going to be little more average looking so I may be better off just getting a nice k brand. I'm sorry I said solid wood Aaron. I'm a horrible sob lol

Closer to the end of the year I am going to commission a custom uke. I'm looking for any suggestions on a builder. This is what I know so far.

$1500 budget
Solid cedar top
Solid zebrawood or rosewood b/s???
Figured maple binding and rosett???
Slotted headstock
Waverly gears
Active pickup
Chunky neck
Extensive neck inlay
Indian rosewood fretboard???

That's the basics. Any input is appreciated :)

Good luck. That's a lot for your budget. You may find one of those Oddball Asian ukes on ebay with a lot of what's on your list. It might look great, but but it won't be much of an instrument.

I can push the budget a tad but once I cut so much out its going to be little more average looking so I may be better off just getting a nice k brand. I'm sorry I said solid wood Aaron. I'm a horrible sob lol

No apologies. You asked, and we're here to help. I hope we did.

Btw, I liken a custom instrument like a tattoo. . . If you go in and tell the artist you want this and that, then ask him what the final cost will be and you start telling him (or her) "what if we make this smaller, or cut this & that out?" in an effort to reduce the cost, then you're not ready for that tattoo because you'll end up with something thinking, later when you have the funds, "I should've waited." Ime.

Also, there's a resurrected thread that may be a good read in the Lounge relating to customs.

Aaron

Top Bottom