Restringing my uke

ZeroAsALimit

Reaction score
I snapped my g tuning up. I went to my local music instrument store and asked the teller for uke strings and I was given classical guitar strings, so I am assuming that he knows his trade and that I can indeed use these.

However, I have no idea which string to attach. The strings are in different pouches labeled "1st and 4th", "2nd and 5th" and "3rd and 6th". I guess I could try them all out, but I reckon I'll end up snapping them again and it did rather smart the last time.

I am no expert, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, which is ok, BUT -- no. No guitar strings.
Just because someone plays guitar does not mean they know anything about the ukulele.

Hi I had similar problem last week this info may or may not be of use to you. I've just look at these strings in our shop (they come pre packaged to us) and spoken to D'addario Uk. They are the correct strings if you look at the gauges in the top right hand corner of the individual strings you will see the gauges match the ones on the front of the package i.eThe j4601-e 1st is the A StringJ4602.B 2nd is the E StringJ4603.G is the C string andJ4401.E is the G String.The discrepencises will be because all of these strings can be used for Classical guitar or any other nylon strung instrument such as Ukulele and the note discriptions on the packet are fro classical guitar. I'm also including the email address of my contact at d'addario if you have any furhter questions. it is john.miller@daddario.co.uk

Hi I had similar problem last week this info may or may not be of use to you. I've just look at these strings in our shop (they come pre packaged to us) and spoken to D'addario Uk. They are the correct strings if you look at the gauges in the top right hand corner of the individual strings you will see the gauges match the ones on the front of the package i.eThe j4601-e 1st is the A StringJ4602.B 2nd is the E StringJ4603.G is the C string andJ4401.E is the G String.The discrepencises will be because all of these strings can be used for Classical guitar or any other nylon strung instrument such as Ukulele and the note discriptions on the packet are fro classical guitar. I'm also including the email address of my contact at d'addario if you have any furhter questions. it is john.miller@daddario.co.uk

Sorry meant to say this was concurred by a knowleable senior member on this site, ive fitted now no problems.

I snapped my g tuning up. I went to my local music instrument store and asked the teller for uke strings and I was given classical guitar strings, so I am assuming that he knows his trade and that I can indeed use these.

However, I have no idea which string to attach. The strings are in different pouches labeled "1st and 4th", "2nd and 5th" and "3rd and 6th". I guess I could try them all out, but I reckon I'll end up snapping them again and it did rather smart the last time.
It would have helped to know the manufacturer and the size of your uke . . . but yea, you can use classical guitar strings. Normally you would use the first four strings of the set (D,g,b,e) with the D giving you a low g. If you want re-entrant tuning you're gonna need another e string. D'Addario Pro Arte, D'Addario T2 and Savarez 540 Classics are the more popular ones in use by ukulele players.

Top Bottom