How about you?

wee_ginga_yin

Reaction score
Nobody is perfect (Rendition with lost chords, mistakes, and hesitation)

"How About You?" is a popular song composed by Burton Lane, with lyrics by Ralph Freed.
It was introduced in the 1941 film Babes on Broadway by Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney
and has also featured in The Fisher King with Robin Williams.
The music of the song appears in the film All About Eve (1950).

The lyrics of the song are often changed depending on the recording artist, in its original form,
it is a duet though rarely has it been recorded that way. Certain lyrics have also been changed
based on the time of the song's release; the line "Franklin Roosevelt's looks give me a thrill"
had been changed to "James Durante's looks" (also know as "Schnozzola" Durante) in a fifties
recording by Sinatra, though he did sing it in its original form with Dorsey back in the forties.

I heard this song from the soundtrack of "The Fisher King" which was directed by Terry Gilliam of Python fame.

The story is about a former radio DJ, suicidally despondent because of a terrible mistake he made,
who then finds redemption in helping a deranged homeless man, who was an unwitting victim of that mistake.

The DJ feels he has been cursed and there is no forgiveness for him, and his salvation comes
through helping the deranged man win the love of his heart. In a way they save each other.

The song is sung on numerous occasions by a bunch of deranged homeless people, and also
the inmates of an insane asylum. Harry Nilsson also performs it over the end credits

Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHaZuRo3DZ4

Harry Nilsson version with whistling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXgNg2XJtQ

Frank Sinatra version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLiSDc73NxM

Sinatra changed Franklin Roosevelt to Jimmy Durante. I changed it to Fiona Duncan:)

Last edited:
how beautiful Rob. What a gorgeous chord progression that is and such a sweet performance mate. So many themes running through the background to that song that are so close to home...I can relate to your version big time....best go and learn me it too. Who is that Fiona Duncan lady anyway? She must be a real hottie. :p

Cool song. I don't think I've heard it but it's really nice and you do it well.

John

Terrific! One of my favorite films for sure and a great tune...you did the heck out of this one

You can find the chords for the song for DR UKE's web site
There are many songs from the 30's and 40's there.
I made a jpg from the PDF file ... so just click on the image below
and you will get the chords and words for the song.

screenshot_01.jpg

Hello, small ginger one, Nice one. I enjoyed that.
A Scotsman in Yorkshire.

Woo-Hoo!!! finally somebody has an ear for phonetics. I guess you are the first person
to realise the exact meaning of my moniker. You deserve a prize. I thought I would make
it simple by putting in underscores "Wee_ginga_yin" because my YT moniker of "weegingayin"
was so often read as "weeg in gay in"... just saying :)

But being a Scotsman you will well remember the firey red headed footballers, like Billy Bremner
who played for Leeds United, or even Paul Scholes for Man U as being referred to by Big Ron Aitkins
as the Wee ginger yin.

There I have got it off my chest at last. Phew!!!

Woo-Hoo!!! finally somebody has an ear for phonetics. I guess you are the first person
to realise the exact meaning of my moniker. You deserve a prize. I thought I would make
it simple by putting in underscores "Wee_ginga_yin" because my YT moniker of "weegingayin"

But being a Scotsman you will well remember the firey red headed footballers, like Billy Bremner
who played for Leeds United, or even Paul Scholes for Man U as being referred to by Big Ron Aitkins
as the Wee ginger yin.

Hi Small Ginger One,

I remember them well, Heros in their day, funny old thing i live near Leeds now, never seen the statue outside Ellen Road of Billy Bremmer.
Must admit the Ginger runs in my family.
Take Care and keep on smiling and playing. Maybe one day ill play nearly as good as you.

as the Wee ginger yin.

Okay, I feel a proper nit...I've long wondered why a Scotsman living in Finland would be using some strange Chinese screen name... LOL

But that's okay, Jeff will always be Loner Hino to me...

John

I thought I would make
was so often read as "weeg in gay in"

I used to think it was pronounced with hard "G"s, like Gunga Din.

Nice song, by the way.

Okay, I feel a proper nit...I've long wondered why a Scotsman living in Finland would be using some strange Chinese screen name... LOL

But that's okay, Jeff will always be Loner Hino to me...

John

Big Ron Aitkinson was a TV pundit for football in the UK. He made up phrases
that are now common parlance when you hear anybody talk about football
"early doors" "spotters badge" "back stick"

Instead of speaking english he spoke RONglish. Some of his more famous quotes are:

He dribbles a lot and the opposition don't like it - you can see it all over their faces.

I think that was a moment of cool panic there.

Well , either side could win it, or it could be a draw.

He's not only a good player, but he's spiteful in the nicest sense of the word.

Someone in the England team will have to grab the ball by the horns.

They've picked their heads up off the ground and they now have a lot to carry on their shoulders.

Top Bottom