Mya-Moe tenor smaller compared to others?

Eyeguy

Reaction score
I've heard it mentioned a few times that Mya-Moe tenors are smaller as compared to other tenors, suggesting that that might be a relative drawback, but a little bit of research indicated that although they may in fact be a touch smaller, it seems it's a fairly small difference compared to some common brands, both late model and vintage, and one I'm not sure I'd notice. I mean, we're talking at most a half inch or less on body length and/or lower bout width. Now I couldn't find dimensional data for the big 3 K brand hawaiian tenors, and haven't researched all of the other available tenors by any means, so maybe they are in fact significantly smaller than others. Still, I love the size and feel of my Gibson tenor and the Mya-Moe doesn't seem to much different at all so I'm not thinking it's going to be a major problem. Comments?

Mya-Moe Tenor

. Body Length: 11 3/4”

. Body Depth 2 5/8” At Neck to 3” At Tail

. Lower Bout Width 8 ½”

. Total Length 26”

. Scale Length 17”

Collings Tenor

Dimensions
• Body Length: 12"

• Body Depth at Side: 2 3/8"

• Lower Bout Width: 8 5/8"

• Total Length: 26 1/2"

• Scale Length: 17"

Martin Tenor

. Body Length 12 1/16”

. Lower Bout Width 8 15/16”

. Total Length 26 1/4 “

. Scale Length 17 “

Gibson Tenor

. Body Length 11 13/16 "

. Lower Bout Width 8 15/16 "

. Body Length 26 "

. Scale Length 17 "

Play one and you won't care that it is a little smaller. Gordon and Char "tune" their instruments so precisely that it will sing no matter what size...and yes, I am a total fanboy. I play tenor primarily and size was the last thing I could think of when playing one of theirs.

I haven't taken measurements, but the body on my Mya-Moe tenor looks and feels noticably smaller than my Kamaka tenor. (Mya-Moe sends its ukes in hard cases that are precisely the right size for their ukes, and my Kamaka won't fit in that case.) I don't think the size of the body matters for sound, though. As TCK says about his experience with the MM ukes he's played, my MM tenor is loud and proud and it feels great to play, too.

The Mya Moe appears to be designed with a low 4th in mind.

I agree with TCK. It is smaller but the sound is really good. It has it's own sound. My Griffin ukes seem to have a deeper voice but I think that is because he builds his bodies a little deeper.
Length, 12.25"
lower bout 8 5/8th
depth 3"

You're going to love the MM you ordered Tim. I think that 1 1/2" neck option is going to blow you away. We all get that "did I do the right thing" when ordering a custom. You did for sure. I know I mentioned the smaller body in our pm but it wouldn't deter me from ordering another. If and when I do, it'll be with the 1 1/2" neck also.

Before I bought my Mya-Moe tenor, I was worried because I was trying out a Lanikai and wasn't comfortable with the size. Then I tried a friend's Mya-Moe tenor, and found it to feel noticeably smaller. It was my deciding factor in getting the tenor.

I've heard it mentioned a few times that Mya-Moe tenors are smaller as compared to other tenors, suggesting that that might be a relative drawback, but a little bit of research indicated that although they may in fact be a touch smaller, it seems it's a fairly small difference compared to some common brands, both late model and vintage, and one I'm not sure I'd notice. I mean, we're talking at most a half inch or less on body length and/or lower bout width. Now I couldn't find dimensional data for the big 3 K brand hawaiian tenors, and haven't researched all of the other available tenors by any means, so maybe they are in fact significantly smaller than others. Still, I love the size and feel of my Gibson tenor and the Mya-Moe doesn't seem to much different at all so I'm not thinking it's going to be a major problem. Comments?

After hearing, seeing and reading about the Mya-Moe, I would not be concerned about the differences in the dimensions that you listed.

If you really want to compare the dimensions, for whatever reasons, you would need additional information, including but not limited to, the exact shape and dimensions of the different bodies and then pull-out your old slide rule and calculus book, plus know the tapping resonance, etc. of the specific pieces of wood used. (I would think??)

I would love to have the Mya-Moe because I really like the sound and workmanship. That's what seems important to me.

Top Bottom