Super tenor, concert

It's like a normal Tenor, but it has a cape.

On a serious note, I've never heard of a super tenor, but a super concert is a concert body with a tenor neck.

Picture of a super tenor and a tenor side by side. (Picture from the net, certainly not my ukes)

346660229.jpg

Why do all Ukes have a dot marker on the 10th instead of the 9th fret ? Is it to p*ss guitarists off ?

Picture of a super tenor and a tenor side by side. (Picture from the net, certainly not my ukes)

346660229.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Since a super concert is a concert/tenor hybrid, I was expecting some kind of tenor/baritone thingy...

Why do all Ukes have a dot marker on the 10th instead of the 9th fret ? Is it to p*ss guitarists off ?

Good question. I do know that banjos, mandolins and tenor guitars have a 10th fret dot.

Yes. They deserve it for having it wrong all these years.

This is true - they deserve it. Following the circle of 5ths, your moveable chords put you at the 10th position, not the 9th.

Apparently guitars were also marked at 10 in the beginning. About 100 years ago they started changing - supposedly the reason was purely cosmetic - a more symetrical spacing. And they claim Ukulele players aren't serious musicians! Vanity over function?

As far as the "Super", duper, longneck, etc. names for long scaled or fat bodied instruments, there's bound to be confusion, because nothing is standard. I'll be perfectly content if it never is.

We'll be happily adding to the confusion in a few months with our "Soprano Largo", "Alto Largo" y "Tenor Largo" (Baritone will just be "Baritone").

We do the rough building in Central America, where the word for long is "Largo", and to us it just sounds prettier than all the other names.

Our Tenor, by the way, is not a short-neck, fat bottomed girl but a sleek, sexy thing with a long, patrician neck. Or in other words, a Baritenor.

Last edited:
This is true - they deserve it. Following the circle of 5ths, your moveable chords put you at the 10th position, not the 9th.

Our Tenor, by the way, is not a short-neck, fat bottomed girl but a sleek, sexy thing with a long, patrician neck. Or in other words, a Baritenor.
A Baritenor is a Baritender after too many Cervasa.

I believe Kanilea is the only maker who uses the term "super tenor" to refer to an ukulele with a regular tenor scale length but an oversized lower body. Does anyone know if other makers use the term to refer to scale length? (I think William King just calls these "long-scale tenors.")

Ko'Aloha also calls their long neck concert as super concert , but I don't think they make any long neck tenor (in production), maybe custom.

Top Bottom