Would a strap button affect the value / desirability of a Kamaka?

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
The title tells it all. I have asked this question in another forum and didn't get many answers. Would a strap button on a Kamaka tenor affect the value or desirability?

Back story:I know I could use a uke thong or uke leash but don't care for their appearance. I would rather stand up at a mic than sit but I get such little stage time that I start to feel uncomfortable holding the instrument.

Cover the back in Velcro and wear a thick sweater.

I had a nice pono that the previous owner had put strap buttons on and I had a hard time reselling it because of them. I would say it you have to have them get nice solid wood ones from stewmac or somewhere.

Just found this, too.

Apologies if I'm posting stuff everyone already knows about. I'm just a newbie here :)

It really comes down to personal preference for the potinial buyers. I personally do not like strap buttons on my ukes and have decided to not buy a uke that had one, other end was a pick-up. But the next guy/gal may like starp buttons and be drawn to a uke with them.

Crap, I've just realised that what I've been talking about is the "Uke' Thong" the OP mentioned. Ignore me, I'm an idiot.

All of my ukes get strap buttons installed. I've owned 4 Kamakas and have sold 2 of them within hours of listing, without any problems of getting my asking price, despite the presence of strap buttons.

Ive personally never considered a value depreciation when doing anything to my ukulele , my only consideration is , how will it affect the playing , sound etc etc . if you want strap buttons and think it will make it easier for you to play , then bump value and go for it

My personal preference is that I wouldn't want strap buttons due to the simple fact that it does bring down the value of the uke.

I suppose to some having strap buttons would affect the "purity" of the ukulele, and make them less desirable. It really depends on who is looking to buy, and what pre-conceived notions or desires they have.

That said, since it's a Kamaka, even if it does affect the value, I can't imagine it would be a huge amount - maybe 10% (pure guess, of course). Instead of getting, say, $1000 you may have to accept $900 or $950.

But I'm a bit confused about your dislike of the look of the Uke Leash. In most ways it looks exactly like an acoustical guitar strap with the headstock tie. The only real difference being that instead of connecting to the okole, the Uke Leash connects to your shoulder (or belt loop, or waist). Is that really a huge difference in look than a standard strap?

I like the uke leash. I think that was one heck of a good idea that has worked and also looks good.
I suppose to some having strap buttons would affect the "purity" of the ukulele, and make them less desirable. It really depends on who is looking to buy, and what pre-conceived notions or desires they have.

That said, since it's a Kamaka, even if it does affect the value, I can't imagine it would be a huge amount - maybe 10% (pure guess, of course). Instead of getting, say, $1000 you may have to accept $900 or $950.

But I'm a bit confused about your dislike of the look of the Uke Leash. In most ways it looks exactly like an acoustical guitar strap with the headstock tie. The only real difference being that instead of connecting to the okole, the Uke Leash connects to your shoulder (or belt loop, or waist). Is that really a huge difference in look than a standard strap?

I wouldn't mess with it unless I was sure I was going to keep it forever. A Kamaka is definitely a keeper but is it your keeper? If you're worried about resale value, then don't do it.

I have a strap button on each of my Kamakas. I'm not convinced that having had a luthier install these strap buttons necessarily decreases the ukuleles' value. What a strap button may do is decrease the universe of potential buyers, but among those who will buy a Kamaka with a strap button, I think there'd be at least one person who would pay a reasonable price without requesting a strap button discount, especially if the strap button was installed by a luthier. Besides, although I may sell my Kamakas some day, the increased enjoyment I get from playing them with a strap button (as opposed to not having a strap button) while I own them outweighs whatever small amount less I might have to accept because of the strap button when I sell them.

I've sent this to a patent lawyer, so don't go getting any ideas about stealing my design!

steady.jpg

Looks like a marching snare or bass drum harness!

It's my new SteadiUke™

I'm thinking about a Segway mounted version.

I'm going to be RICH! RICH I TELL YOU!

MUAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!

/nurse

I'm with MDS725. If adding a strap button makes you a better player I say go for it. I wouldn't go drilling anything in the neck or heel,, but a tasteful button on the butt would not bother me. Its overkill on a light uke, especially a soprano/concert. I would never put one on my Kiwaya concert.I use a thong if I have to, haha. But I am glad my baritone came with one, or would have put one on. I use a light mandolin strap, attached at the neck with a wrap, and at the heel with the button. Just the ticket for playing it standing. feels very balanced.

Last edited:
On a baritone I would consider it a plus. On a tenor I wouldn't mind buttons. On a concert or soprano it might make me less likely to buy the uke, but not to the point that I'd pass up a good deal.

Of course, twenty years from now it might adversely affect the collectibility of the uke - but if you got twenty years use of it, who cares? :)

John

Top Bottom