George Plays the Uke

Reaction score
I recently purchased the George Harrison documentary "Living in the Material World" blu-ray. This short clip is one of the bonus features exclusive to the deluxe edition. I thought I'd share it: http://youtu.be/_YcbP__gBFM

I thought it was funny how you can never see his face but I have to believe it is George. Looks like a home movie that he made.. Anyways, I hope you enjoy it. And if you really like it, go buy the movie!!

That was George all right! You could hear the voice speaking at the end.

I know the song, too - one of my favorites - a classic.

FREE SET OF REENTRANT STRINGS to the first person who also knows the song!!!

George does play uke on Devil and the Deep Blue Sea on his last album, Brainwashed. That's the only one I recall having ukulele, but I may be wrong.

It's frustrating me because I know I've heard this song before. The title and lyrics aren't coming to me. For some reason, a hat seems to come to mind. Is a hat somewhere in the lyrics?

I think it's a Fred Astaire tune called something like "Shine on your shoes" or something like that. Not 100% sure.

I think you are right. I was thinking "What sounds kind of like Sweet Georgia Brown?"

That's it! I remember that bit. My grandparents played old musicals when I was stayed with them and went to college. That and big band stuff. Cab Calloway, the Dorsey Brothers.... @southcoastukes email on its way.

I think I saw this movie or this clip from the movie within the last year so that's why the melody was familiar to me. I guess I was remembering the hat the character was wearing but not the shoes that were the subject of the song. I like the ukulele rendition by headless George.

There's a banjo uke at the end of Free as a Bird too. No one remembers the interview section of the Anthology, with him and Paul and Ringo lounging outside, ukes all over the place? He was playing a Kamaka concert. There's another part where they're inside talking and he's lost looking at the koa grain on the back. I think that was in the outtakes on the dvd.

There's a banjo uke at the end of Free as a Bird too. No one remembers the interview section of the Anthology, with him and Paul and Ringo lounging outside, ukes all over the place? He was playing a Kamaka concert. There's another part where they're inside talking and he's lost looking at the koa grain on the back. I think that was in the outtakes on the dvd.

Top Bottom