FREE PHILPOT! (petition update)

When will the T-shirts be available? Can't motivate folks without a T-shirt. It's just wrong!

28 sigs, but this thread has had 90 views
...Sigh

For the love of all things Philpot, sign the petition, folks!

Sorry, I just wandered in here 'cos I thought someone was giving a Philpot away.

No idea what a Philpot is, but if sh*t's free, I'll have one.

Ken, in that case I lose hope for humanity. ;)
Who would want to deny him the experience?

We have 29 now ...

I'd like to read the petition, but the web site has so many cookies attached to it, I can't open the petition itself (And I won't accept the damned cookies).

Nor will I have anything to do with FaceBook or twitter. I find the entire concept to be a complete waste of my time.

Can't speak for anyone else, but those are the reasons I haven't signed the petition, even though I've viewed the message.

-Kurt​

Cookies are an integral part of the way the internet works, and in the main, are not invasive or malicious. If you are running appropriate countermeasures (and I am NOT including Norton 360 in that statement!) and pursue a sensible policy of clearing out your cookies and scanning for malware on a regular basis, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Ken, in that case I lose hope for humanity. ;)
Who would want to deny him the experience?

His mother, it seems.

What right do I have to sign a petition to try to force a parent to change their decision? I know how I would react if a bunch of strangers tried to force me to change a private family decision. Or am I missing something?

Is your hope for humanity really based on the importance of attending a ukulele camp meeting? Surely there are more important issues to lose hope over?

His mother, it seems.

What right do I have to sign a petition to try to force a parent to change their decision? I know how I would react if a bunch of strangers tried to force me to change a private family decision. Or am I missing something?

Is your hope for humanity really based on the importance of attending a ukulele camp meeting? Surely there are more important issues to lose hope over?

darn it Ken, your clear eyed logic and sense of family integrity has made me utterly change my mind. I have to say I totally agree with you. We bring up our own children in what could only be called 'alternative' circumstances, that run counter to the prevailing cultural views about bringing up kids. We home school them and always bristle when the inevitable and stereotypical judgments are made by other parents against us, but put to us in the guise of curious questions. I could go on....But yes, you're right and good on you for saying so.

That said UWC sounds like a wonderul, wonderful thing. I would love to go myself one day. If not this year for Phil, he will hopefully have many adult years to make up for this one, eh.

His mother, it seems.

+1 ken - this is exactly why I haven't signed the petition. Having raised three kids and being surrounded with a whole peck of grandkids, I can sympathize fully with Philpot's "parental units." It's actually refreshing to see parents step up to the plate and make the difficult decisions instead of trying to be their kid's best friends. Probably much of the reason that Philpot is someone we want to meet and associate with is largely because of the upbringing he's had by parent's who cared!

I'd love to meet Philpot and see him at UWC - but while he's a minor and living in his parent's home it's not our place to intrude. Frankly, if I was Philpot's parental unit at this point I'd be extraordinarily annoyed and less likely to give my blessing than at the start.

Philpot - be cool man - all good things come to those who wait - everything in its season, and all that. It sounds like you've got great "parental units" who love you and just want to protect you. Listen to them not just while at home, but take the lessons you learn from them through life. We'll see you next year, man and all be richer for the wait!

Just my $.02 as a parent and grandparent.

John

That said UWC sounds like a wonderul, wonderful thing. I would love to go myself one day.

I think it is a wonderful thing too, J. One day I hope to be there. This year the UFGB, probably the biggest festival of the year, is on the same weekend and I have to be there. In any case, the cost of getting there would be an issue for me at the moment.

If I were the parent of this philpot and had said no to my kid about going somewhere and some friends/parents did a petition like this trying to change my mind I think I would not be very nice for a very long time. Maybe other parents would feel differently about this but not me.

Nicely stated, gentlemen. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so hasty. Now I feel bad. (badly?). While I, as a mom, wouldn't get annoyed by the petition, it wouldn't make me let my child go either.
Philpot -- yes, I signed it. But do as your parents wish. God willing there will be other years.

If I were the parent of this philpot and had said no to my kid about going somewhere and some friends/parents did a petition like this trying to change my mind I think I would not be a very nice for a very long time. Maybe other parents would feel differently about this but not me.

Exactly! In fact, we had exactly that situation with our youngest daughter over something when she was about the same age. Her best friend's mother actually came in our home and tried to convince us that we should let our daughter do something that was against our beliefs because she was insulted that we'd "consider ourselves better than her" by not letting our daughter do something that she had no problem letting her daughter do. Pretty much floored us, frankly.

John

Top Bottom