PDA

View Full Version : FREE PHILPOT! (petition update)

pootsie
05-08-2012, 09:24 AM
I am trying to get support for parental permission for Philpot to go to UWC

http://www.change.org/petitions/philpot-s-mom-let-philpot-go-to-uwc#

So far we have 26 signatures. I had hoped we would do better, so I am posting this update for your support.

Please, won't you think of the children? Or teens, anyway?

Jcollazo
05-08-2012, 09:30 AM
When will the T-shirts be available? Can't motivate folks without a T-shirt. It's just wrong!

pootsie
05-09-2012, 04:00 AM
28 sigs, but this thread has had 90 views
...Sigh

For the love of all things Philpot, sign the petition, folks!

The Big Kahuna
05-09-2012, 04:08 AM
Sorry, I just wandered in here 'cos I thought someone was giving a Philpot away.

No idea what a Philpot is, but if sh*t's free, I'll have one.

pootsie
05-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Sorry, I just wandered in here 'cos I thought someone was giving a Philpot away.

No idea what a Philpot is, but if sh*t's free, I'll have one.

I am surprised it took that long for this joke to pop up

click for appropriate musical support (http://www.sadtrombone.com)

Ken Middleton
05-09-2012, 04:14 AM
I don't understand this thread. What is it about?

The Big Kahuna
05-09-2012, 04:20 AM
I am surprised it took that long for this joke to pop up

click for appropriate musical support (http://www.sadtrombone.com)

http://bit.ly/IXWdhu

pootsie
05-09-2012, 04:20 AM
I don't understand this thread. What is it about?

Philpot needs permission (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?54413-UWC-2012-Ukulele-World-Congress&p=929111#post929111)to get to the UWC.

So we are petitioning Philpot's Mom to allowhim to go.

Click and sign to help!
http://www.change.org/petitions/philpot-s-mom-let-philpot-go-to-uwc#

Hippie Dribble
05-09-2012, 04:24 AM
this is great pootsie. signed!!!! :)

Ken Middleton
05-09-2012, 04:29 AM
28 sigs, but this thread has had 90 views
...Sigh

For the love of all things Philpot, sign the petition, folks!

Maybe 27 people agree with you and 62 don't agree?

pootsie
05-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Ken, in that case I lose hope for humanity. ;)
Who would want to deny him the experience?

We have 29 now ...

ksiegel
05-09-2012, 10:58 AM
I'd like to read the petition, but the web site has so many cookies attached to it, I can't open the petition itself (And I won't accept the damned cookies).

Nor will I have anything to do with FaceBook or twitter. I find the entire concept to be a complete waste of my time.

Can't speak for anyone else, but those are the reasons I haven't signed the petition, even though I've viewed the message.

-Kurt

The Big Kahuna
05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Cookies are an integral part of the way the internet works, and in the main, are not invasive or malicious. If you are running appropriate countermeasures (and I am NOT including Norton 360 in that statement!) and pursue a sensible policy of clearing out your cookies and scanning for malware on a regular basis, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Ken Middleton
05-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Ken, in that case I lose hope for humanity. ;)
Who would want to deny him the experience?

His mother, it seems.

What right do I have to sign a petition to try to force a parent to change their decision? I know how I would react if a bunch of strangers tried to force me to change a private family decision. Or am I missing something?

Is your hope for humanity really based on the importance of attending a ukulele camp meeting? Surely there are more important issues to lose hope over?

Hippie Dribble
05-09-2012, 12:55 PM
His mother, it seems.

What right do I have to sign a petition to try to force a parent to change their decision? I know how I would react if a bunch of strangers tried to force me to change a private family decision. Or am I missing something?

Is your hope for humanity really based on the importance of attending a ukulele camp meeting? Surely there are more important issues to lose hope over?

darn it Ken, your clear eyed logic and sense of family integrity has made me utterly change my mind. I have to say I totally agree with you. We bring up our own children in what could only be called 'alternative' circumstances, that run counter to the prevailing cultural views about bringing up kids. We home school them and always bristle when the inevitable and stereotypical judgments are made by other parents against us, but put to us in the guise of curious questions. I could go on....But yes, you're right and good on you for saying so.

That said UWC sounds like a wonderul, wonderful thing. I would love to go myself one day. If not this year for Phil, he will hopefully have many adult years to make up for this one, eh.

OldePhart
05-09-2012, 12:59 PM
His mother, it seems.

+1 ken - this is exactly why I haven't signed the petition. Having raised three kids and being surrounded with a whole peck of grandkids, I can sympathize fully with Philpot's "parental units." It's actually refreshing to see parents step up to the plate and make the difficult decisions instead of trying to be their kid's best friends. Probably much of the reason that Philpot is someone we want to meet and associate with is largely because of the upbringing he's had by parent's who cared!

I'd love to meet Philpot and see him at UWC - but while he's a minor and living in his parent's home it's not our place to intrude. Frankly, if I was Philpot's parental unit at this point I'd be extraordinarily annoyed and less likely to give my blessing than at the start.

Philpot - be cool man - all good things come to those who wait - everything in its season, and all that. It sounds like you've got great "parental units" who love you and just want to protect you. Listen to them not just while at home, but take the lessons you learn from them through life. We'll see you next year, man and all be richer for the wait!

Just my $.02 as a parent and grandparent.

John

Ken Middleton
05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
That said UWC sounds like a wonderul, wonderful thing. I would love to go myself one day.

I think it is a wonderful thing too, J. One day I hope to be there. This year the UFGB, probably the biggest festival of the year, is on the same weekend and I have to be there. In any case, the cost of getting there would be an issue for me at the moment.

Markr1
05-09-2012, 01:05 PM
If I were the parent of this philpot and had said no to my kid about going somewhere and some friends/parents did a petition like this trying to change my mind I think I would not be very nice for a very long time. Maybe other parents would feel differently about this but not me.

sukie
05-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Nicely stated, gentlemen. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so hasty. Now I feel bad. (badly?). While I, as a mom, wouldn't get annoyed by the petition, it wouldn't make me let my child go either.
Philpot -- yes, I signed it. But do as your parents wish. God willing there will be other years.

OldePhart
05-09-2012, 01:09 PM
If I were the parent of this philpot and had said no to my kid about going somewhere and some friends/parents did a petition like this trying to change my mind I think I would not be a very nice for a very long time. Maybe other parents would feel differently about this but not me.

Exactly! In fact, we had exactly that situation with our youngest daughter over something when she was about the same age. Her best friend's mother actually came in our home and tried to convince us that we should let our daughter do something that was against our beliefs because she was insulted that we'd "consider ourselves better than her" by not letting our daughter do something that she had no problem letting her daughter do. Pretty much floored us, frankly.

John

Markr1
05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Did philpot start this thread or friends or friends parents of philpot?

Nickie
05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Well, I don't know Philpot or his parents, and my work laptop won't access the petition site and I don't know WTH this is all about anyway. Not that I don't WANT to...

pootsie
05-09-2012, 02:41 PM
I started this in jest and hope not to be taken too seriously. So please don't get to serious. Of course I respect a parent's decisions. I was simply trying to show good natured support for a friendly environment for him to attend.

What right do I have to sign a petition to try to force a parent to change their decision?

None. You can't force it. That is why I opted for asking nicely. Do you have a problem with asking nicely?

The petition states "Mom, can Philpot go to UWC, please?" This is no more a threat to parental authority than a friend coming to the door and asking if Phil can come out and play.

I was not serious about losing hope for humanity over this, either. I lost that long ago ;)

BTW, Eugene, is it "homeschool" or "Unschool?" We unschool.

TCK
05-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Best thing I have read in months on here- signed

Markr1
05-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry Pootsie. I guess I did take it a little personal and voiced it. I still stand by my feelings about it but probably shouldn't have made the negative posts.

Plainsong
05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
I didn't get to go many places like that either. Not where they couldn't somehow know what I was up to. Music or not. My parents were also (over) protective... so I feel for philpot, but this petition would have not only NOT changed my parents' minds, but it would probably make them restrict access I had to these people who signed it. You could be letting Philpot in for an even bigger world of hurt.

This petition will just make things worse, so I didn't sign it.

The Big Kahuna
05-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I just read it as a bit of harmless fun. I really don't see how anyone could have missed the tone of the OP. Sheesh guys, c'mon, lighten up a bit :shaka:

haolejohn
05-10-2012, 12:14 AM
How old us this philpot? I love UWC it is fairly tame but letting a child go...

Plainsong
05-10-2012, 01:46 AM
I just read it as a bit of harmless fun. I really don't see how anyone could have missed the tone of the OP. Sheesh guys, c'mon, lighten up a bit :shaka:

It's not about that. I'm not mom, I can't make that judgement call. To the parents, this is not lighthearted. I hope he doesn't get banned by his family from UU. If it were up to me, sure it's lighthearted, but it isn't.

philpot
05-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Hey guys, just to clear up a few things. I find this petition incredibly entertaining, but I had no hand it its creation :P I'm 17 and fully capable of transporting myself to UWC, but my mom's decision was that there was too much going on this summer and it was better saved for next year. I didn't expect to be able to make it this year, so that's totally cool with me.

That said, she loves reading through the comments and "reasons" and isn't offended at all. We both find it pretty hilarious and awesome that there's a community of people that haven't even met me that would put something like this together. So while it won't change her mind, she certainly wasn't upset about it. She even posted it to her facebook and had all her "adult" friends commenting about how funny it was. So no worries ;) Thanks for your concern about it.

darn it Ken, your clear eyed logic and sense of family integrity has made me utterly change my mind. I have to say I totally agree with you. We bring up our own children in what could only be called 'alternative' circumstances, that run counter to the prevailing cultural views about bringing up kids. We home school them and always bristle when the inevitable and stereotypical judgments are made by other parents against us, but put to us in the guise of curious questions. I could go on....But yes, you're right and good on you for saying so.

That said UWC sounds like a wonderul, wonderful thing. I would love to go myself one day. If not this year for Phil, he will hopefully have many adult years to make up for this one, eh.

I'm homeschooled as well and I appreciate every minute of it! ;)
-Phil

fitncrafty
05-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Phil..
It sounds like you have an awesome relationship with your mom.. I respect that very much. I am glad that you respect her decision, although I am sure it is disappointing to you... Glad to hear that you are both laughing about it. maybe you should teach her to uke and take her with you next year!

Ken Middleton
05-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Eloquently said, Phil.

pootsie
05-10-2012, 03:16 AM
Well, Phil, there's always next year.

I'm glad your Mom saw the humor I intended. Please thank her for at least giving it some thought.

Mandarb
05-10-2012, 03:55 AM
Maybe 27 people agree with you and 62 don't agree?

Yup.

His mother, it seems.

Agreed.

If I were the parent of this philpot and had said no to my kid about going somewhere and some friends/parents did a petition like this trying to change my mind I think I would not be very nice for a very long time. Maybe other parents would feel differently about this but not me.

Same here.

Hey guys, just to clear up a few things. I find this petition incredibly entertaining, but I had no hand it its creation :P I'm 17 and fully capable of transporting myself to UWC, but my mom's decision was that there was too much going on this summer and it was better saved for next year. I didn't expect to be able to make it this year, so that's totally cool with me.

That said, she loves reading through the comments and "reasons" and isn't offended at all. We both find it pretty hilarious and awesome that there's a community of people that haven't even met me that would put something like this together. So while it won't change her mind, she certainly wasn't upset about it. She even posted it to her facebook and had all her "adult" friends commenting about how funny it was. So no worries ;) Thanks for your concern about it.

-Phil

Very well said Phil. Thanks for the feedback.

Mim
05-10-2012, 04:14 AM
For those who dont know Phil... he is awesome and I figured his mom would find this funny! It seems to me more of a fun way to show love for Phil for fun than really a serious "his parents much change their mind" thing, so I signed it... for fun!!! Though I did not see this thread until now. I came upon it on facebook!

I wish he could go! Just because I want to meet him and I know he would grow so much as a uke player (though he already has... he is getting pretty darn awesome). But if it were my kid, yeah, I would probably want to be with them. Heck, at 32 my mom still fussed at me the other day for talking about driving 6 hours to Georgia by myself.

So, dont worry, it was all in fun! And there is always next year! Enjoy your fun packed summer Phil and hopefully I will have a uke event soon at my house, which is closer!!!

Plainsong
05-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Oh thank goodness! Everyone I repeated this story to, filled in the blank at the end with you losing internet privileges. There are plenty of parents who'd be more concerned. So you'll probably get to go sometime in the future? That's awesome. Huge sigh of relief there for you. :)

I mean _I_ know it's all in fun and most of us here know it's all in fun. But we're not mom. Glad to see she's cool with it.

-Phil

ksiegel
05-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Cookies are an integral part of the way the internet works, and in the main, are not invasive or malicious. If you are running appropriate countermeasures (and I am NOT including Norton 360 in that statement!) and pursue a sensible policy of clearing out your cookies and scanning for malware on a regular basis, you have nothing to be concerned about.

I do run appropriate countermeasures, including script blockers and cookie blockers. (Symantec products can just go straight to hell, for all I care.) When I can't see a website without enabling cookies for a web site I am unfamiliar with - or for Facebook - then I don't need to see anything on that web site. I enabled the cookies for the petition's main page, and for the googleapis, and it still wouldn't open; therefore, it is a junk site as far as I am concerned, and the petition will therefore not be signed.

-Kurt

Hippie Dribble
05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Can the petition be amended so that it is to the UWC organisers, demanding that any uke player who lives in Western Australia and Tasmania be provided with a free ticket to the Congress, including airfare and five star accommodation, as well as a custom uke for a souvenir.

he he Bill....where do I sign??? :)