Which bass should I keep?

Tommy B

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I don't play bass, but I've got it on my to-do list to learn some bass basics. Through various trades over the years, I've acquired two very different basses, and I'm wondering which, if either, would be better for me to learn on.

The first is a Takamine 512 acoustic bass guitar. It's a ginormous instrument, especially after playing uke, but it has a lovely tone. It has tape-wound strings and professionally lowered action, and I'm told by my bass-playing friends that it's a great axe. But it's sooooo big, and I know I'd have to make a serious physical adjustment to play this thing.

The other is a Kala U-bass. No details needed on this one, right? :D It feels so uke-like that I keep trying to strum the thing! But the strings are fat and grippy, and I've been told that one shouldn't learn bass on a Kala because the skills won't transfer to a "real" bass.

If I were to choose one to learn on, which would you guys suggest I keep, and why? Or should I sell both and buy something more conventional?

Thanks!

I am learning on a UBass. I like the portability and I have no aspirations of being a great bass player.
I enjoy adding some thump to the uke groups I play with.

Keep em both.. ;)
Unless you have to get rid of one.

Keep the big one. You don't have to plug it in.

Keep the Tak. It's easier to learn bass on a full-scale instrument and then be able to play other basses, including the U-bass.

Keep the Tak. It's easier to learn bass on a full-scale instrument and then be able to play other basses, including the U-bass.

Thanks, Ian. That's basically the conclusion I reached. Although I'm keeping both for now, I always try to learn new songs on the full-size bass before attempting them on the Kala.

Top Bottom