Sigh - UAS - how easily we relapse :)

OldePhart

Reaction score
Been content for about a year...net loss in ukes with the ones I gave away vs. the one I bought off ebay because it was too good a deal to let go. (Put the minimum bid and forgot about it - didn't really expect to win it.)

Then...bought a Mainland baritone a few weeks ago. I blame Doc Bekken and Jon for this. It's their fault, really!

I've never much wanted a soprano - I've bought them for my grandkids and the fretboard has always felt way to cramped. Then, I bought a silly little blue Dolphin partly to see what all the hype was about, partly to use it for a setup video (because I figured it was a pretty good bet it woud need one), and partly to offer as a prize in a blues contest.

Well, I shipped the Dolphin to the winner today and I'm discovering that I miss having a soprano around. I spent a couple of hours playing that silly little thing and discovered that, after almost two years playing concert scale, I can now deal with the crowding of the soprano at least in the first position (before, I couldn't make my fingers give me an E7 on soprano, now it's easy).

So...now I'm in the process of having Mike at Mainland prep me a mango soprano and also looking at maybe adding something from the Ohana line as well. (They're small, so two won't take up that much space...)

Sigh. My name is John, and I'm a uke-aholic. :)

John

Sigh...hi....my name is Peter but I ain't a saint.....please swipe your health card and lie on my couch..ouch...wallet.
PS: Gosh 250 posts already...what a blabbermouth I am.

Last edited:
...and enabler. You've been giving me good advice on my 'help me decide' threads!

I'm "Thinker" and it's been a month since my last purchase.....but I don't think I'll make it till summer!

I'm completely recovered from UAS ... Or at least, I plan to be after my last three purchases are delivered.:D

I've resisted buying a tenor. Passed on a few good deals. My addiction...er...my affliction...er...my UAS,is all about sopranos, and maybe an additional good concert, and maybe a taro, or a better baritone. No tenor. For now. I'm not really addicted, see, I've resisted buying a tenor...until...

I thought i was in recovery to,i got a Ohana SK35G in december and about 6 weeks i to got a bargain off ebay a baritone, now i am salivaring at the thought of a Brueko soprano, a #6 or a custom, but all a pipe dream at the mo :(

John, you really need a Mya Moe soprano, Kamaka soprano, Koaloha soprano, Willie Wixom soprano, Moore Bettah soprano, Martin soprano, Steve Van Pelt soprano, Gibson soprano, mele soprano, etc.
.....hee hee:eek:

John, As a guitar addict branching into the world of ukes ( I have acquired three in the last 2 months and just put down a deposit on a Mya-Moe build ) I can tell you without reservation that you cannot stop it, you can only hope to contain it. Enjoy the pursuit - it's half the fun. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to head over to the Marketplace section and see what's cookin' ;)

Too many ukes, too little time - I need to pick up the pace.

I've had absolutely no exposure to the K brands or other "quality" ukes and I thought a Mainland Mahogany Concert was my holy grail, thinking the scale on sopranos too cramped. Mostly have been playing the long neck soprano and low g concert thinking the additional room to move helped.

Got the Mainland Concert, and while it's a wonderful instrument, well-made and beautiful in appearance and sound - I didn't fall in love with it. Just traded a fellow UUer for a Mainland Red Cedar Soprano and absolutely love it, and love playing it. Much easier on the soprano now that I have more experience playing in general. I'm even feeling comfortable fingerpicking that scale.

And now I'm lovin' sopranos. And long-neck sopranos just for the form factor and sound vs a concert... except for my low g concert, which I guess is my "tenor."

John, you really need a Mya Moe soprano, Kamaka soprano, Koaloha soprano, Willie Wixom soprano, Moore Bettah soprano, Martin soprano, Steve Van Pelt soprano, Gibson soprano, mele soprano, etc.
.....hee hee:eek:

Ahh...Stan, you evil, evil man. LOL I probably would have gone for a Kamaka or KoAloha soprano except that I think that the longneck soprano is probably going to remain my main axe - the soprano will probably end up getting about 1/3rd the playtime that the longneck does. I think I'm going to end up having at least one soprano tuned up to D. I really liked the sound up there on that Dolphin; I think that tuning as much as anything is what I'm missing right now.

My Mya Moe dream is for a concert resonator - but that's going to have to wait for a while!

John

I too am guilty as charged of this thing called UAS. I thought I was done after receiving the Mainland Tenor I won last week from the kiva.org contest. I love it, but after playing for awhile, I found that I was having a hard time transitioning from Soprano and Concert to a Tenor. And luckily enough, Mike at Mainland let me trade that Tenor in for a smaller scale one, so alas I am now awaiting for the Red Cedar Soprano that he offered! I am sooooooo excited!

Now that you've had one, you WILL need another Dolphin soon.

HMS or Uke Republic will set one up to play pretty well for ya. :)

Hi my name is Tor-Arne and I'm a Uke-A-Holic..
It's been a week since I paid for my latest fix.
And the frequency seems to be increasing.
I have since made another commitment.
And inquired about a custom build.
I keep telling myself this will be the last one.
But then I see a uke just begging for a new home.
And I like to think of myself as a "giving" soul.
So off it goes with me. And then the ball starts rolling again.
I see something shinier. The grass is always greener etc.
Now excuse me while I browse me some interweb for a new fix...
:D

UAS? What's that? I have no idea what you're talking about John...
:deadhorse:

UAS? What's that? I have no idea what you're talking about John...
:deadhorse:

ROFL Talk about a case of pot-kettle-black! :)

I am kind of proud of myself, though. I think I'm still running even, or very close to it, of the number of ukes I have vs. the number I've given away. Unless I do buy two sopranos. Hmmm, maybe I need to buy three sopranos...the Mainland mango, Ohana, and another Dolphin to give away...

John

Don't forget the conversion factors. If you give away 1 tenor you can buy 2 concerts or 3 sopranos.

Don't forget the conversion factors. If you give away 1 tenor you can buy 2 concerts or 3 sopranos.

Criminey, you mean I've had it backwards all this time??! I usually swap twp or three sopranos out for a tenor... :(

Well,

I'd say join the club, but I'm pretty sure I'm the one joining you. Although, I really like little things. As in, I have a 1945 Jeep with an 80" wheelbase (yes, that's shorter than a Suzuki Samurai-remember those?), I really like puppy dogs, and, um-small ukes.

I started on a concert uke. Then I built a soprano kit for fun, and after playing it for a month I U.A.S.'d a Kala Pocket Uke. I play it every day.

Every

Single

Day.

Cramped fingers? Yup. But I don't notice it anymore. I gave away my concert uke to my son, and I played it the other night. I felt like I was running around all alone on a football field!

But I went right back to the Pocket Uke. I now have a KoAloha Noah, and I ordered a custom sopranino from Willie Wixom...... plus I'm trying to work a trade with Total Ukphoria if he'll answer my post! (For some of his smaller ukes, don't ya know!)

UAS, it's a very contagious affliction. I think UU makes it worse.....

At least do a review of your new soprano when it shows up! You know, for the support group. Nice to meet ya!

Top Bottom