Pono MT Mahogany Tenor V's Islander MT-4 Mahogany Tenor

RAZZLE

Reaction score
Pono Tenor Range

Anyone care to comment.I am looking for an all solid tenor and since i have an all koa Kanilea concert i am after something different.I don't know much about the pono range in general so any advice would be appreciated.I like'm loud.

Razzle

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, Pono is quite a few steps above Islander. The build quality of the Ponos is much higher.

Anyone care to comment on either?I am looking for an all solid tenor and since i have an all koa Kanilea concert i am after something different.I don't know much about the pono range in general so any advice would be appreciated.

Razzle

Interesting comparison since I just got done playing the pono MHTSH solid Mahogany tenor along with the Islander MST-4 solid Mahogany tenor. I played about 30 minutes on each. Both are lovely. The Pono that I am playing, however, is in the pro-classic line which is the top of the line Pono. The Islander MST-4 is the top of the line Islander but not the same build quality of the Pro-classic. Both ring out clear but in terms of projection, the Islander has it. Both project but the Islander does more. The Pono has a bit of a deeper sound- a bit fuller. both have good sustain. The Islander has that Kanile'a percussive sound. Both are wonderful instruments at that price level (used: the MHTHS is around $600/with case, and the Islander sells used for $295 with case).

I think both are great ukes and you can't go wrong with either but if i were choosing the Pono, I would step it up to a higher level to the MTD at $469.

I talked to MGM about this same comparison. He said that both have a wonderful sound, but that the Pono has a little more of an edge in note articulation if you are a finger picker. Both have great sustain. Maybe Mike can chime in on this if he is around!!!

I have a Pono RTSH, a Pono MPT, and a Pono MT. Whenever I pick it up I am always impressed by how well the MT compares to its Pro-Classic brethren.

I have a Pono RTSH, a Pono MPT, and a Pono MT. Whenever I pick it up I am always impressed by how well the MT compares to its Pro-Classic brethren.

i was wondering this. is the difference between the MT and a Pro-Classic mahogany purely based on aesthetics? mahogany is mahogany after all, so it would sound the same, right?

Aesthetics certainly play a part - you upgrade to binding, ebony parts in place of rosewood, and a gloss finish. That said, I'm not in a position to do a straight comparison, all of my Ponos (intentionally) have different tone woods, and they all sound great. My understanding is that the Pono production facility is much smaller than your typical factory. Who knows how much of the individual luthier's skills go into each instrument?

i was wondering this. is the difference between the MT and a Pro-Classic mahogany purely based on aesthetics? mahogany is mahogany after all, so it would sound the same, right?

Top Bottom