Black & White Ebony Resophonic Tenor

Liam Ryan

Reaction score
Here is a resophonic tenor I've had strung up for a few days now.

It features Bear Claw Spruce top with Black & White Ebony B&S, fretboard and headstock overlays.

The National cone is sweet sounding without the harshness that some of the import reso's can have.

The Ebony and Maple rope bindings were hand made and took a significant percentage of the total build time. I think they look pretty smart though.

The gloss finish was completed with the assistance of Allen McFarlen. He must be mighty old to have built up spray finishing chops like the ones he's got ;)

DSCN0450.jpgDSCN0452.jpgDSCN0454.jpgDSCN0460.jpg

Very nice indeed. Love the B&W ebony.
The finish looks superb BTW :)

That looks gorgeous!! I love the rope binding and the single F-hole

Very nice looking. The B&W Ebony very different from what I have seen.

I love that instrument! My fingers got hard just looking at it!

(oh, no... I didn't really type that, did I?????)

(Yeah, I did - and I can't change the truth..._

-Kurt​

Gorgeous build

Fantastic looking and I'm sure it sounds great. The finish and rope binding are too nice for words. What is the body depth? I have only built guitars to this point and wonder about the bracing

Fantastic looking and I'm sure it sounds great. The finish and rope binding are too nice for words. What is the body depth? I have only built guitars to this point and wonder about the bracing

The body depth is 75mm. The top and back are each 3mm thick. The sides are doubled to add stiffness and mass. The bracing is oversized to achieve an inert box to house the cone. I want the cone using the string energy rather than bleeding it into a light and floppy box.

Very impressive...great choice of woods and attention to detail. You are an inspiration to all of us.

Tom

Double sides

The body depth is 75mm. The top and back are each 3mm thick. The sides are doubled to add stiffness and mass. The bracing is oversized to achieve an inert box to house the cone. I want the cone using the string energy rather than bleeding it into a light and floppy box.

Do you mean that you used 2 bent pieces for the sides glued up or one thicker piece. I was asking with the impression that a standard wall thickness was about 6 mm. I see that your top and bottom are far thinner than I expected. sorry for the dumb question, but have only built guitars to this point!

Top Bottom