Ok, how many of you have cutaways?

Eyeguy

Reaction score
Just curious how many of you opted for the cutaway feature, and what you think of it?

I always thought they looked cool and wanted one for a while but the options for concert ukes, which i prefer, are limited. I do own one but it is an electric and I bought it used so it did not really factor into wether I would buy it or not. For me it is really only for looks as I dont get that high (or low??) on the freatboard. But I used to really like how they looked.

Got sucked in and ordered one because of the initial hype here...never again.. I prefer the standard better without
the cavity loss in the body and asthetically they are not pleasing to me anyways...just my personal perference..

I rarely need the high note frets enough to need a cut away. Not a fan of the looks either.

I don't like the look and wouldn't ever consider one. I can't see ever needing to dig that deep into the fret board that I would ever need one either.

Horses for courses really. I'd love one, and if I spot one in NY next week that's equal in quality and playability to others in my price range, I'll go for the cutaway. I have a sneaking suspicion that they appeal more to guitarists than Uke' players.

I'm glad so many don't care for them..............means I'll have a better chance snagging a bargain. I have the Epiphone LP concert uke and a Cordoba 20TM CE which is temporary until find my dream jazz/blues cutaway. All my other ukes are "conventional."

Horses for courses really. I'd love one, and if I spot one in NY next week that's equal in quality and playability to others in my price range, I'll go for the cutaway. I have a sneaking suspicion that they appeal more to guitarists than Uke' players.
I think a cutaway makes a uke look more like a guitar.... not good! But I have thought about getting one for ease of high up the fingerboard. I wander up there occasionally. The jury's still out, but I do prefer a more traditional look. Have a great time in NY!

I often do play that high on the fretboard and cutaways really help...plus, I really like the look of them. I only have 1 cutaway acoustic and it is a joy to play.

Have a great time in NY!

I'm going to do a tour of a few stores on Monday to see if I can find one then. If anyone is familiar with NY, I've limited my choices to the following stores, and I'm planning on visiting them in the same order I've listed them:

East Village Music Store - hopefully, Claude will still have the Mainland Mango Tenor for me to try
Ludlow Guitars
The Music Inn
Guitar Center
Sam Ash

I know about Matt Umanov and Mandolin Brothers, but my self imposed upper limit is $ 280, and their stuff is way above that.

I have an Uluru Pukana La II concert cutaway. I think they only make that concert with the cutaway now, though I have occasionally seen (old stock?) regular bodied ones around. I like the look of mine - I think there are cutaways and cutaways. Variation in the shape and curvature of the cut is huge and has a profound effect on the aesthetic - i.e. there are some that I just don't like at all.

Have recently ordered a soprano in regular shape and I don't think I would actively seek another cutaway, but I love mine and it's a less common, incredibly well-hand-made all koa work of art (picture below), so I'll always be very fond of it!

Ben

pukana la.jpg

I think a decent % of people who buy cut-aways do so because they like the look of them.

On a side note, I dropped you an email yesterday afternoon asking if you knew of any other stores in NY that you supplied to. Not sure if you got it or not.

Ps. I'm not pestering for an answer, I just thought I'd mention it.

I own one, a tenor cutaway Pono, and love the look and the ability to play higher on the fretboard. Even if not playing the uppermost end of the register, it gets the wood out of the way for strumming (so less fingernail abrasion at the part of the soundboard that gets hit the most).

It does not diminish the tone and sound at all, as far as I can tell. I'd always opt for it on a tenor, given the choice.

Last edited:
I love my Kala cutaway. I may not be wild about the look, but I hope to play well enough to play that part of the neck someday. I don't think it cost a bit of volume, it's louder than some of my friend's standards. I do tend to strike the strings pretty hard, though. (Enthusiastic)

Top Bottom