What kind of wound string to use on Kamaka 6 string for "low A'?

Howie1947

Reaction score
Kamaka strings come with a wound low A..................My question is what type of guitar string, classical or otherwise, could be substituted for that "low A" wound string..............Howe

I put a set of Worth Browns, all unwound, on my Lili'u and it sounds lovely.

Can you even use guitar strings on a uke? Wouldn't the necessary tension pull the bridge off?

Last edited:
I put a set of Worth Browns, all unwound, on my Lili'u and it sounds lovely.

Can you even use guitar strings on a uke? Wouldn't the necessary tension pull the bridge off?
It's nothing new and has been a common practice to use Classical guitar strings. I've been using them since 08 and have had no problems with tension. If you think about it, most of the string sets were derived from guitar strings to begin with. JS and Aldie used D'Addario guitar strings on their instruments . . . the packaged J71 tenor set came from the J46 sets.

It's nothing new and has been a common practice to use Classical guitar strings. I've been using them since 08 and have had no problems with tension. If you think about it, most of the string sets were derived from guitar strings to begin with. JS and Aldie used D'Addario guitar strings on their instruments . . . the packaged J71 tenor set came from the J46 sets.

Thanks for the info, K. Am I right to think that classical/nylon guitar strings would fit and sound better on a tenor, than a concert or soprano?

Thanks for the info, K. Am I right to think that classical/nylon guitar strings would fit and sound better on a tenor, than a concert or soprano?
I've never owned anything else and it would be unfair of me to say it won't work on a soprano or concert. I do believe there are a few folks who have done so and have not had any problems. As far as sounding better on a tenor, take into consideration the build. Since strings are somewhat inexpensive, try a set and let your ears be the judge. The cost of the Savarez trebles is 6.95 and add 2.20 for re-entrant tuning (541R) or 1.45 for a D'Addario D string for low g. The Titanium trebles are 2.95 (1st 3 strings) and an additional 1st string is .95. These are prices from Strings By Mail and there is a 4.00 shipping and handling charge on any order. I usually order several sets especially when friends need them to make it worth my while. Check out other sites as well, they may be cheaper. You may also want to check out the Uke Strings thread.

Low A string

Some people swear by moving GCEA up to ADF#B. Some others swear at doing that. However----it does show one where to get a low A.
Hmmmmmmm......I like to do GCEA as FCFA. What's to prevent one from tuning A C E A?

Top Bottom