best strings for a cheap little Mahalo soprano?

barefootgypsy

Reaction score
I wanted to try out a soprano, and have bought a cheap little Mahalo, a coloured one. And I just want to use it as a spare little uke. But I do want to get the best out of it, it's a pretty little thing - so what's your experience of the best strings to put on there? I use Aquilas on my concert laminate mahogany.... much better than the ones that came on it but I've never used any other make yet. Thanks! :)

Howdy,

I can't believe there aren't a dozen answers to this....yet. Here's my two bits:

As a UAS sufferer (see Old Phart's post) and uke-fiddler, I have tried a half-dozen different kinds of strings on my ukes. Hands down, the ones that I like the most are Worth Light Clears. Fluorocarbon stings are the future!

I have them on one of my concerts, all of my sopranos, and exclusively on my Kala Pocket Uke. They have a little stretch/break-in time, but they are bright, clear, and really bring the smaller instruments alive. And, although they seem a little more expensive than other strings, they are not!

They actually put double-length string in the packages! In other words, you get enough string to do your uke twice from a single pack of strings. No one carries them where I live, I order them from Elderly.

I hope that helps, let us all know,

Scott

Last edited:
Howdy,

I can't believe there aren't a dozen answers to this....yet. Here's my two bits:

As a UAS sufferer (see Old Phart's post) and uke-fiddler, I have tried a half-dozen different kinds of strings on my ukes. Hands down, the ones that I like the most are Worth Light Clears. Fluorocarbon stings are the future!

I have them on one of my concerts, all of my sopranos, and exclusively on my Kala Pocket Uke. They have a little stretch/break-in time, but they are bright, clear, and really bring the smaller instruments alive. And, although they seem a little more expensive than other strings, they are not!

They actually put double-length string in the packages! In other words, you get enough string to do your uke twice from a single pack of strings. No one carries them where I live, I order them from Elderly.

I hope that helps, let us all know,

Scott
Thanks for that, Scott! That's a great, detailed answer! I've got a set of fluorocarbons ready to try out on my banjo-uke, just haven't got round to it yet.

There ya go. Some people swear by other brands, (even Martin makes fluoro strings now) but I like the Worth the most for small ukes.

Enjoy!

Hi

I have a Dolphin which lives next to the settee.

I have Aquila's on it and they work well. Lots of volume and a nice tone (for a cheap uke anyway!)

Greetings from Staffordshire :)

I put Aquillas on my little beater soprano ("Retread") and it sounds better than I ever thought it could.

I would always urge testing many brands as it depends on the uke, the player, and your ears. That said, on cheap laminate ukes, Aquilas tend to win the day in most cases

Best Strings

Whatever they are, they are not tied to the tailpiece. There is a depression behind the saddle and the place where the strings usually tie. In that groove, inline with the notch on the sddle and the hole in the back, drill a 1/32 hole at each of the four appropriate spots. Now one runs the string forward until it can be picked up and brought up through the sound hole and knotted. Pull the other end up to the tuner after all strings have been knotted to the underside of the top.
One does not need to ever worry about the bridge lifting off, and it really improves the quality and volume. #2- cut a hole about 1" dia.
on the top of the front bout. (On my orange and black, there is a
1" x 1 1/2" profile of a beaver [Go Beavs!] On the green one which is headed for Minnesota [Go Duck fans, where ever you are] there are 5 yellow outlined feet as the side port openings. There was a 25mm heart on a pink one and three small hearts \ on a slant on a purple one. I do prefer Aquila strings because they are easier to see than the black ones which come on them. Some people like the contrast; some like black on black. The stock black ones sound better through the body. The fishing leader on some of them are pretty bad.

I use florocarbons on my ukuleles, but, I used to have a Mahalo. And, I think the best string for that instrument is the Aquila Nylgut. Worth clears make many ukuleles sound really beautiful, but your Mahalo needs a little added drive to the sound, in my opinion. It has been my experience that the Aquilas provide that better than any other strings.

Thanks everyone for your answers! I really appreciate it - been away for a few days but now that I'm back I'll get on to it and let you know how I get on! :D

definitely Aquilas and if its not set up, let me know and I'll set it up for you if you want. :)

Top Bottom