Sitting in the last row of the plane.

Shazzbot

Reaction score
My wife, my flea and I were sitting in the last row of a Boeing 737 yesterday. Right next to a harried father with a four month old who was tired, over-stimulated and a bit cranky. So I decided what better time to break out my flea. Maybe distract junior for a bit.
Try as I might, I couldn't hear my playing. I even bent over to try to hear my strumming. The e and a strings simply weren't there.
The kid never even noticed me.
I'm wondering if I sat in first class, could I hear myself?
Of course, with the free drinks, I probably wouldn't notice.

Last edited:
Disadvantage of first class: first and certain to die in a nosedive.

Disadvantage of coach class, last row: first and certain to die when the tail breaks off.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Time for a Peanut or EleUke?

Coolkayaker and CanoeLady and my row boat are the way to go. Everybody can hear the beautiful melody of Row Row Row Your Boat. I never did like the landing part of flying.

Time for a Peanut or EleUke?

Took my peanut on an international flight with noise blocking earbud headphones and it worked great. And the size is perfect to not jab your neighbor.

I was trying to channel George Harrison.
Didn't happen.

The only cure for noisy children on aircraft is to dip their Dummy* in Rohypnol.

Saying that, if you happen to be carrying Rohypnol, you should probably be in jail instead of on a plane.

* Pacifier, for all the non English speaking Colonists amongst you ;)

Benadryl. Problem solved, and no one goes to jail. :D

Coolkayaker and CanoeLady and my row boat are the way to go. Everybody can hear the beautiful melody of Row Row Row Your Boat. I never did like the landing part of flying.

I have always LOVED the landing part. If you don't have that, you are in big trouble!

Hello Bill1,
That would be an interesting thread indeed. The oxygen and air pressure in a kayak, canoe or row boat affecting the tone versus the 40,000 feet tone.
Jim

I've had the same experience on planes during my several years of constant business travel. After about an hour on a plane, the noises that started out ear-shattering are barely noticeable anymore -- until you try to superimpose another sound (like a ukulele) over them. Then you realize how much noise the aircraft is making. I was always frustrated by that noise when I wanted to play my uke for somebody, but always grateful for it when I needed to fart.

existing rmsiony

Had a real world test just yesterday, same plane!! My wife and I flew from Seattle to Puerto Rico last night. On the first leg of our journey we sat in row 29, i strummed a bit but couldnt hear anything. On our second flight we were seated in row 32. A family needed to sit together so a flight attendant asked if we would be willing to move. We said that wouldn't be a problem. Well, to our surprise they moved us to first class. It is much quieter and cozier up in the front. While you would be first to die in a nose dive, you would at least hear your final notes.

Had a real world test just yesterday, same plane!! My wife and I flew from Seattle to Puerto Rico last night. On the first leg of our journey we sat in row 29, i strummed a bit but couldnt hear anything. On our second flight we were seated in row 32. A family needed to sit together so a flight attendant asked if we would be willing to move. We said that wouldn't be a problem. Well, to our surprise they moved us to first class. It is much quieter and cozier up in the front. While you would be first to die in a nose dive, you would at least hear your final notes.

New thread suggestion: If You Were Nosediving In A Plane, What Song Would You Choose To Play?

I very often end up in the last row of the airplane, so often so I wondered what was up. I mentioned it to someone waiting in the line with me and they said it has to do with where you check in. If you check in at the curb, you end up in the front, check in via kiosk and you get the middle, check in at the counter with your luggage and they sit you in the back.

Am I the only one that thinks it odd that anyone would play a uke on a plane in the first place? Don't get me wrong, I love the uke but I'm pretty certain that there are probably a lot of people out there who don't share the same level of enthusiasm for it as people here do. It seems to me that it would be a bit inconsiderate and assuming to others on the plane but maybe I'm alone in this thought. :confused:

Am I the only one that thinks it odd that anyone would play a uke on a plane in the first place? Don't get me wrong, I love the uke but I'm pretty certain that there are probably a lot of people out there who don't share the same level of enthusiasm for it as people here do. It seems to me that it would be a bit inconsiderate and assuming to others on the plane but maybe I'm alone in this thought. :confused:

The elephant in the room has been spotted.

I agree, but I left the possibility open that the plane was sparsely populated and perhaps the situation did call for some ukein'.

But, in general, I personally like to read on planes and wouldn't want the distraction.

Shazz had good intentions, though, so no disrespect is intended by my opinion.

Only if they threw in some kazoo, tap dancing and Yodeling... and did it poorly.

Top Bottom