My new ukulele!

jqrcaliman

Reaction score
ya just got it today from MGM. Koaloha KCM-02 Super Concert. I seriously started jumping around my house when i saw the ups truck out my window. i barely let him ring my door bell b 4 i yanked the door open haha :D

ya dude here are a couple of pics

IMG_01391.jpg

IMG_01361.jpg

ya just got it today from MGM. Koaloha KCM-02 Super Concert. I seriously started jumping around my house when i saw the ups truck out my window. i barely let him ring my door bell b 4 i yanked the door open haha :D

Really nice uke! It's interesting it has the cool crown bridge like the Koaloha tenor. I bet you can't stop playing it. I want a new uke!

Congrats.
I really do love playing my Koaloha Concert. It's like a big bright, empty & reverberating box of musical fun. You're gonna have a blast with it. It's currently the one in the top case by the computer that's nearly always within arm's reach.

(Meanwhile I turn my head and cock an ear and listen forlornly for the doorbell that is currently not ringing hoping that it will peal later in the morning to announce the arrival of a new instrument to my slowly burgeoning fold. The wait is agony.)

I love the pointed bridge. Is a Super Concert just a concert with a tenor neck?

Kind of a hijack. Sorry. But is there a difference? I thought a Super concert is a concert with a Tenor neck. Could someone enlighten me.

Oh yeah very nice ukulele. I like the headstock and bridge, but for some reason I am not a big fan of the soundhole shape. I really want a nice new uke.

haha, dude, i'm so jealous of you! I was watching that on e-bay too. I was restraining myself from getting it since i'll already deeep deep in the hole. I just got a concert sceptre from him and when I saw that super concert, I wanted it too. congrats! put a vid up soon bro. Beautiful crown bridge of a tenor!

Congratulations! It is gorgeous :love:

PS. I Never wait till the UPS guy rings my bell.... I'm always waiting on my steps.

I am struggling with the praise of this instrument since one of my beefs with KoAloha is they never match backs and fronts. It wouldn't take much. This particular example has a much prettier back than it does the front. Sacrilige is what I call it...:confused:

My UPS guy didn't understand my joy when he rang the doorbell with my new ukulele. I excitedly told him "it's my new uke!" and he gave me the funniest look.
Enjoy your KoAloha. They sound so beautiful. Getting the longer neck was a smart move.

wow when i saw your uke my whole body stiffened.(is that a word or am i just stupid) i think my UAS is now at the breaking point.

nice uke man, I cant wait to hear the vids.

I am struggling with the praise of this instrument since one of my beefs with KoAloha is they never match backs and fronts. It wouldn't take much. This particular example has a much prettier back than it does the front. Sacrilige is what I call it...:confused:

I can understand the point of matching the front and the back, but I don't think most people care or know that they should care about it. It's not something I've thought about before, but now I'm going to take a look at all my ukes to see if they have matching front and backs.:D

I'd also say that it may be a by product of the factory production aspect of Koalohas. The body of the instrument being assembled in one part and the soundboard in another part of the line. They are still quality production instruments.

Being a one man operation in charge of every aspect of a build from start to finish is another situation entirely and one of the reasons you are able to pay close attention to the detail stuff that your average person might overlook. It's your artistry and craftsmanship and passion. Without having had the pleasure to play any of your instruments, I'd still wouldn't hesitate to say that they'd be something more like individual functional works of art.

Speaking for myself and personal experience with my own Koaloha Concert, it's a wonderful instrument to hear and most of all play. The soundboard on mine is one solid asymmetrically grained piece of koa with a lovely flow to it and the back another. I rather like that. Symmetry isn't always aesthetically pleasing to me. But the main thing about it is that I purchased this particular instrument to play and that it does most enjoyably. And truth be told I really don't spend any time ever admiring the wood grain on it since most times I pick it up it's clutched to my chest while I try and wrestle something fresh and musical from my brain and into my fingertips. It could look like it was fabricated by blind chimps with severe motor problems at that point because I'm chasing sonic phantoms. (I'm probably more intimately familiar with its smell wafting up from my body heat against the wood than the its outward appearance.)

That being said, if Mr. Howlett were to desire to influence my opinions of Koaloha ukuleles by providing me with an instrument of his own making, a Yewkulele perhaps with nice matching tops and backs in order to compare and contrast against my own Koaloha, I don't think I could in all fairness refuse. It just wouldn't seem right.

How about just congratulating him on a purchase he's excited about?

A thread about your beefs about KoAloha and/or other builders would be a great discussion in the luthier's forum.

Top Bottom