Strings overlapping

Kraft

Reaction score
I have attached a photo due to my lack of descriptive skills. But, I was reading in another thread that if your strings overlap on the tuner, they will never stay in tune. If anyone has any input on this, feel free to check out the picture and let me know what you think in terms of it being fine/what I should consider. Thanks in advance!

2012-05-09-150555.jpg

That's often true - it's not a 100% rule but it's often the case that it will at least make tuning touchy. It looks like there is probably room on the capstan of that C string to loose it up and move the overlapping winding down - you get a sharper string angle over the nut with the string wound down to the bottom of the capstan, too.

That's often true - it's not a 100% rule but it's often the case that it will at least make tuning touchy. It looks like there is probably room on the capstan of that C string to loose it up and move the overlapping winding down - you get a sharper string angle over the nut with the string wound down to the bottom of the capstan, too.

Thanks for your input, next time I replace my strings I will try to leave more room.

Like OP says, the strings should leave the tuner at the very bottom of the shaft. This maximizes the downward tension at the nut. I have never noticed minor string overlap having any effect on staying in tune. I try to avoid excessive overlap but my experience is that overlap just sorts itself out as the strings are tightened.

It also is OK to loosen the strings and rewrap them on the tuner shaft. You don't have to wait until you change strings.

I read a book called "Set up of the Stars" or "Guitar Set up of Famous Guitarist" or something like that. (I found it at the Library and just tried to Google it but could't get a hit). Anyway it showed a pic of his tuners, BB King used to wrap all his string on the post, wrapped it on top of it self, over and over. Looked like a big ball of twine on each peg. He said when he was poor he got in the habit so he could reuse a string when it broke down by the bridge!! I wonder how he kept it in tune? I wish I could find a pic to share.

Top Bottom