PDA

View Full Version : How should I tune my uke?

Dorothy
05-10-2012, 12:23 AM
My daughter (who plays guitar) and I have joined our churches worship team. There are 2 acoustic guitars, 1 electric guitar, 1 base and a piano.

I find that my uke, tuned in GCEA just doesn't sound like it fits in with the mix. Should I tune it some other way?

I am still very new to playing. I just chord the songs. They all say it sounds ok ... but hey, it's a church group - they have to be supportive.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

chris667
05-10-2012, 12:59 AM
GCEA is usually fine. Just make sure you're playing the same chords. They are the same shapes as you get on a guitar, but in different places. If it sounds good, it is good, if it isn't try something else.

Hope that doesn't sound patronising, I don't know how much of a beginner you are!

1931jim
05-10-2012, 02:51 AM
At your church group the piano will be the tuning reference for everyone. Middle C will be the same for all instruments, and take it from there.
Unless the piano needs to be tuned, and I would doubt that is the case.

Dorothy
05-10-2012, 03:05 AM
I've only been playing for about 2 months ... and am still very very new.

Been thinking about this all evening and morning. And just realized that on the one song that I really noticed the difference the guitars and put capo's on. That might be it.

Maybe when my daughter and I both have time (she's so dang busy for a 15 year old!!) we can play chords together, so I can see how her guitars and my uke sound together.

Thanks!

Ukulele JJ
05-11-2012, 02:06 AM
on the one song that I really noticed the difference the guitars and put capos on. That might be it.

I'll bet you it is!

If a guitarist plays the standard "shape" for their G chord, but has a capo on, say, the third fret, it's really no longer a G chord (it's a Bb chord). But they might still call it a G chord, and tell you it's a G chord, and the music they're reading from might have a G chord written down.

The solution would be to either A) use a capo on your uke too, in the same way, or B) transpose the chords so that you really are playing the same ones. If you have trouble doing this, one of the other players will probably be able to help, or there are resources on the internet (web-based doohickies and such) that can transpose chords for you. Or you can post here for help.

Good luck!

JJ