Going to the Dark Side - need low G advice

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
Ok, ok ... I'll give it a try.

I'll string up one of my tenor ukes with a low G and see if I can get something musical to happen.

I currently use Worth CT high G on all my tenors.

Suggestions for a set of Low G's?

Thanks

I personally don't like the texture of wound strings on my uke, nor how they can overpower the other strings, so I would definitely recommend you avoid them.

That said, Worth does make low G sets (I've tried the browns and loved them). Also, both Fremont and Orcas offer very well balanced low G sets as well.

Saving the best for last, you may want to get in touch with Dirk @ Southcoast Strings. He is a wizard when it comes to his sets, and not only has top-quailty stuff, but is super-knowledgable and has many different tunings available.

Last edited:
Hi Gerald . . . try D'Addario 4304 which is a classical D or Aranjuez AR600-04. BTW, these are wound. If you want non wound, Worth low g or Freemont low g Single from Uke Republic. I would also suggest Southcoast G650 flat wounds or round wounds. You can contact Dirk (southcoast@inbox.com) and get some advice and recommendations. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I don't believe it. Next you'll be playing a baritone! :cool:

Try Southcoast Linears. Wonderful strings and Dirk knows his formulations. Great stuff.

Mike

For low g, my current favorite is the PHd string set - unwound on one of my tenors. I also have liked the Worth CHLGHD or the CMLG sets as well.

Ok, ok ... I'll give it a try.

I'll string up one of my tenor ukes with a low G and see if I can get something musical to happen.

I currently use Worth CT high G on all my tenors.

Suggestions for a set of Low G's?

Thanks

Here's what I like best. I use the same strings you do for high G. For low G I use the same set, and replace the 4th string with a D'Addario NYL28W. Tie it the same way. It balances with the florocarbons very nicely, and I never had to widen the nut slot on my Mya-Moe tenor.

Here's what I like best. I use the same strings you do for high G. For low G I use the same set, and replace the 4th string with a D'Addario NYL28W. Tie it the same
way. It balances with the florocarbons very nicely, and I never had to widen the nut slot on my Mya-Moe tenor.
This would be my suggestion.

Southcoast Linear Low 4th no wound set recommends D tuning for 17" scale.

The 650 Linear string set with flat wound basses recommend C tuning for 17" scale. I have the 650 Linear flat wounds on a baritone tuned to Bb and they are very nice strings.

I have one tenor strung with Worth Brown Low G and have used the Fremont Low G set. They are both equally good.

The Worths are a good set to try.

Hmmm, not sure why low g is "the dark side." All the Hawaiian's in my uke club have their main tenors tuned low g. Middle aged surfer dude lives near me, can't stand low g tuning. His preference, but has to be a "dick" about it. Kind of boring if all the ukes in the world looked and played the same, same tuning, etc. etc.

Personally, I like a wound low G. I second the suggestion for the D'Addario J4304 single string, which is a "light tension" copper, silverplated string. The low tension makes it feel right and it blends well with almost any medium tension string set. I also recommend the Southcoast G650 sets. The flat wound version is a little quieter, but no string squeek and the set is very well balanced. The round wound version is also nicely balanced with a little more oomph in the bass. Trebles are very clear in both sets.

Last edited:
Hi Gerald, I have found the Fremont Low G to be the best on my Kanilea tenor and just put one on my William King custom scale tenor (larger than a regular tenor) and again I have the sound I want. The string is very stretchy so I do some super tunning (pull and tune, pull and tune) and it about 30 minutes I have it pretty well set so you can play a song or two without it going completely out of tune. After a few days of super tuning, it stays right on. I tried one on my Collings concert and it was not enough tension so I went with a D'Addario wound and it worked great.

I just picked up some Savarez 574RH polished wound over nylon core to try out. Set one up tonight and it's so smooth you have no finger noise moving up and down the frets. It's a .0299 Guitar D string.

Tons of choices....good luck and let us know what you found works best for your playing. Like watching your videos.
Cheers!

Assuming you have a tenor scale (if not, disregard), the first thing you'll probably want to do is try a set of Worths. Personally, Worths are too soft for my instruments, which leads to the first thing to consider- who built your instrument. . . he should have a recommendation for you.

Once I discovered Bronze wound strings, I found the silver wounds to be too strong (as in powerful sound), specifically D'Addario J4604 or Savarez 544r (or j). D'Addario J4804s are a nice transition from wound to nylon (or carbon), if you can find them. Once I run out, I'll be trying Aranjuez 600 or 700 series.

Caveat: I usually just leave the 4th string from my Savarez sets, even though they're silver wound. I don't think they overpower the other strings as much as other sets, and my clients seem to like them as is.

Of course, some guys like a stronger 4th, depending on their style of play. In any case, you gain another octave, and if it's not "Standard sounding" enough, just move up :cool:

My suggestion for you, especially since you seem to have an aversion to low g (perception gleaned from the title), is to try not only different low g stings, but possibly different sets that match not only the low g, but your instrument as well.

Aaron

Top Bottom