My 6-String custom concert Redwood/Kingwood

Hello Fernando,

It's hard to tell on the top - it almost looks more like Spanish Cedar (sounds great, BTW - smooth & warm).

While there is more than one wood using the "Kingwood" name, what you have looks like what I usually call Kingwood as well. It's a rosewood, gorgeous as is yours, and the tree (almost more of a shrub) is so small, and with such a poor heart condition, that you need to use a lot of sap. The heart is just never very wide. Rafael's come up with some intersting ways to deal with that situation. Very well done!

We've got some "little bitty" rosewoods in our area that fall into the same category and I'm really tempted to start using them. Has Rafael worked often with Kingwood? It appears he's using it for the neck as well (or is that Pau Ferro?). While we're at it - what about the fingerboard?

Congratualtions - this should be very nice! Looking forward to some sound. Thanks for posting the pictures.

p.s: if Rafael knows the Latin names, I can tell you for sure.

Last edited:
The top, according to him is "Cedro Canadense", the back and sides is "Jacarandá Violeta" and the neck is "Imbuia". The fretboard is Jacarandá (rosewood).

Judging from similar words in Spanish (not that this means anything definite), you might have a Western Red Cedar top, Kingwood Back & Sides, Imbuia is Imbuia (except when they call it Brazilian Walnut) and Jacaranda will likely get your instrument confiscated if you bring it to the states. I'd guess that one is what we simply call "Brazilian Rosewood".

Once again, congratulations - very nice!

p.s: hard to tell from the photos, but I would still say Spanish Cedar "Cedro en Espanol" for the top. Once it's finished it will be a lot easier to say.

Nice! A 6 string concert is on my bucket list. Still haven't heard a redwood topped uke I didn't like.

Top Bottom