PDA

View Full Version : General question on a Ebony fretboard or binding

hammer40
05-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Is an ebony fretboard or binding all black, or shades of dark brown? It always looks black in pictures but I saw my first one in person on a uke and was surprised that it just looked like darker rosewood. I thought ebony was all black, but then I'm just a curious newb.

Allen
05-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Can be all sorts of colours mixed into it. I suppose the jet black is the most common, but I prefer stuff with lighter hues mixed in. Looks more like wood then.

Not often will you get "real" ebony bindings. Most often it will be black plastic as once a finish is one either it's pretty difficult to tell the difference.

Liam Ryan
05-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I'd say dyed black ebony fingerboards are more common than naturally all black ebony fingerboards.

Chris_H
05-11-2012, 01:15 AM
There are many different species of Ebony.

Rick Turner
05-11-2012, 05:34 AM
For black binding, I like the vulcanized fiber that Gurian makes. It has a grain pattern from the layers of dyed Kraft paper being laminated, so it looks more like wood than black plastic. It's also easy to work with and very tough as an edge protector.

ksquine
05-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Yep...ebony can have many streaks of browns, grays and even white in it.
Most really black ebony is probably dyed. Its possible to get all black fingerboard in uke sizes but you can usually see some color variation up close.