1920's Martin 2M Soprano in the house

cosimojack

Reaction score
Wanted to share...

Here's the new (old) uke I just got:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/134160/SOLD-Dealer-1920-s-Martin-Soprano-2M-uke-restored

Plays, sounds and looks great in person.
I had a uke a few year ago, but it was nothing like this one.
This is something I can pass down to my kids.

BTW - Luthier, Dave Newton, who did the repairs and I bought from is a very skilled craftsman. The uke is very light, but ultra solid with the work he did.

At $350, this uke was a steal imo.

I'm having a blast re-learning this instrument (I mainly play guitar)...

Last edited:
Cool, I think that is a good price too!

Those repairs do look rock solid. Now it is ready for another 80 years of jamming! Enjoy!

Real nice Pre-35 Martin. On the case, you might want to apply something to the handle to protect it as it is. It's hard to explain but when the leather covering on the handle is gone, the paper wrapping around the steel core of the handle will slowly come off if not protected. Electrical tape will work but is probably not the best solution. Maybe you could get a new leather covering of some sort to cover it.

That was a fantastic price! My Style 2 has a lot of repairs and was over twice that much... without the original case! You'll love it. I think my Style 2 is the best-sounding of my three old Martins.

I have a 1932 2M and the sound is incredible. I'm not a fan of soprano's but I had to own a Martin. Definitely a family heirloom now.
Have fun playing it, very rich sounding and I put Martin Fluro's on mine and it just sings with tons of sustain which I love.
Congrats!

I also have an old Martin 2M, and it is a sound monster and great player. It may be the loudest Martin I have. Mine is from 1917 and has had several repairs over its life.......not pretty at all but a super sounding and playing uke. You have a great ukulele there!

Wow! Great find.

I've always been a sucker for Vintage ukes

Thanks everyone for the warm responses.

I actually have another new Soprano case that offers better protection, so I'll probably just keep the old one for collectibility. I'll have to see how the handle is holding up, thanks for the tip.

What a great instrument the uke is, totally forgot how much fun it is to play.

Although, I imagine just guitars one will never be enough... :)

I just recently acquired a 1930 Martin Style 0, the plain jane little sister of your 2M, and I just love it. Those old Martins have remarkably clear, pure voices. I can't put mine down. I used to think I didn't like sopranos until I got this little Martin...

There's not much in the world that beats a vintage Martin soprano... at least in the world of ukuleles.

Congratulations! I learned to play on a '20s Martin 2M soprano, and it was my primary uke for 20 years. I've got to say I rarely play it now, though. It has a better sound than the '50s Martin 3M I have. I've met several other uke players over the years who've said 2Ms sound better than 3Ms.

Top Bottom