Mainland Mahogany Long Neck Pineapple

Shastastan

Reaction score
I got this uke new about 3 months ago after a 6 month wait. I haven't played it very much since I seem to like to play my Mainland mahogany tenor and also my Flea better. I'm trying to figure out why this is, but I'm confused. One thing is I seem to like the action on the other 2 ukes better, but the action on the pineapple seems okay. Also, I wonder if I don't like the pineapple shape for whatever reason, but I don't know what that reason would be. The appearance, intonation, resonance, and quality are all really nice--and that includes the nice hard case. I did have the shop add a button on the bottom for a strap which I use. I'm thinking that if I'm not enjoying playing this uke, I might as well sell it or trade for a different concert? I'd appreciate hearing what others think. I should add that I've only played, sparsely, for about a year.

Sometimes a uke just doesn't appeal to you even though it's a good uke. I love Mainlands, own several and fixing to buy another, but I had a Mainland cedar rosewood tenor that I just couldn't warm up to. There was nothing wrong with it. It had very good action and crazy volume - but I just couldn't warm to it, or it to me. I gave it to my son-in-law.

When a uke isn't doing it for you, move it along to someone who will love it - it leaves more room in the stable for ukes you will love!

John

Thanks for your response, John. I've read many of your posts over the year and you always have relevant and helpful things to say. Thankfully, I don't have to be in a rush to make a decision. It seems ironic that it's my most expensive uke and the one I like the least, but I've had that experience with horns I've tried also.
Mahalo.

Stan

Sometimes it is playability or comfort or tone...you just don't connect with it....sell it and move on...

Thanks for your comments. I think I may try for a trade. I really like Mainland, but I don't even know which ukes might be similar in quality and sound to Mainland's solid mahogany. I'm going to try for a concert size. Guess I'll go and post something in the Marketplace.

I know you have made your decision to sell your mainland but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I have re-homed several really good ukuleles. There was nothing wrong with them other than they just didn't click with me. It is a little crazy because I have kept less expensive ukes that I liked better. Good luck and enjoy. I actually love buying and selling ukuleles.

Thanks Roxhum. Both ukes that I'm keeping were cheaper than the pineapple. I've listed it for sale in the Marketplace for $260 including hardcase. Not sure what the backlog is on these right now getting a new one from Mainland. I'm waiting to get a Mainland concert like yours. I'm just really impressed with Mainlands. Picking an instrument is both a blessing and a curse.

Top Bottom