PDA

View Full Version : Mainland Mahogany Long Neck Pineapple

Shastastan
05-11-2012, 09:14 AM
I got this uke new about 3 months ago after a 6 month wait. I haven't played it very much since I seem to like to play my Mainland mahogany tenor and also my Flea better. I'm trying to figure out why this is, but I'm confused. One thing is I seem to like the action on the other 2 ukes better, but the action on the pineapple seems okay. Also, I wonder if I don't like the pineapple shape for whatever reason, but I don't know what that reason would be. The appearance, intonation, resonance, and quality are all really nice--and that includes the nice hard case. I did have the shop add a button on the bottom for a strap which I use. I'm thinking that if I'm not enjoying playing this uke, I might as well sell it or trade for a different concert? I'd appreciate hearing what others think. I should add that I've only played, sparsely, for about a year.

OldePhart
05-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Sometimes a uke just doesn't appeal to you even though it's a good uke. I love Mainlands, own several and fixing to buy another, but I had a Mainland cedar rosewood tenor that I just couldn't warm up to. There was nothing wrong with it. It had very good action and crazy volume - but I just couldn't warm to it, or it to me. I gave it to my son-in-law.

When a uke isn't doing it for you, move it along to someone who will love it - it leaves more room in the stable for ukes you will love!

John

Shastastan
05-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks for your response, John. I've read many of your posts over the year and you always have relevant and helpful things to say. Thankfully, I don't have to be in a rush to make a decision. It seems ironic that it's my most expensive uke and the one I like the least, but I've had that experience with horns I've tried also.
Mahalo.

Stan

mm stan
05-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Sometimes it is playability or comfort or tone...you just don't connect with it....sell it and move on...

Shastastan
05-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks for your comments. I think I may try for a trade. I really like Mainland, but I don't even know which ukes might be similar in quality and sound to Mainland's solid mahogany. I'm going to try for a concert size. Guess I'll go and post something in the Marketplace.

roxhum
05-13-2012, 05:42 PM
I know you have made your decision to sell your mainland but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I have re-homed several really good ukuleles. There was nothing wrong with them other than they just didn't click with me. It is a little crazy because I have kept less expensive ukes that I liked better. Good luck and enjoy. I actually love buying and selling ukuleles.

Shastastan
05-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks Roxhum. Both ukes that I'm keeping were cheaper than the pineapple. I've listed it for sale in the Marketplace for $260 including hardcase. Not sure what the backlog is on these right now getting a new one from Mainland. I'm waiting to get a Mainland concert like yours. I'm just really impressed with Mainlands. Picking an instrument is both a blessing and a curse.