PDA

View Full Version : Kala Resonator Ukes! A Reality!!!

PedalFreak
05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Just got a call from my Kala rep. They are shipping the Kala resonator Ukuleles today! Woohoo!!!

We've got a couple Tenors and a couple concerts on the way. I may have to snag one of the tenors though ;)

PhilUSAFRet
05-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Ha, been waiting. I love concert size, but for a resonator, tenor should sound much better. Oh, what to do, what to do!

J-Peg
05-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Any idea how much they'll cost?

PedalFreak
05-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Any idea how much they'll cost?

I'm not at my computer, but I think the concert is $250 & $289 for the tenor.

Nickie
05-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I dunno, Lil' Rev has a soprano resonator, and it sounds pretty darn good! I think Kala is really trying to do it right, I'm glad I bought one. It convinced me that I love playing ukulele.

PedalFreak
05-12-2012, 08:10 AM
So here is the pricing:

Concert Resonator: $258
Tenor Resonator: $279

Zenin
05-12-2012, 12:40 PM
So here is the pricing:

Concert Resonator: $258
Tenor Resonator: $279

So the question is, who's going to have these bad boys in stock first? The pricing seems fantastic, especially the tenor. I was about to buy a Mainland tenor, but that kind of price on a decent tenor resonator might bump it up my wish list. -All the others I've seen are north of $1k, at least for tenor.

Paul December
05-12-2012, 01:08 PM
I really dig the headstock decal.

njukeman
05-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I can't find a thing about them on their website. Do you know what the model numbers are? I definetly want one!

PedalFreak
05-12-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm suppose to have them at my store by Friday ;)

Wicked
05-12-2012, 03:34 PM
You know, I have toyed with the idea of getting a resonator uke, but I wasn't interested enough to reach too deep into my pocket. These are at a nice price point for fence sitters like me.

AncientMatingCalls
05-12-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm suppose to have them at my store by Friday ;)

Ooh, don't sell them off too quick. I'd like a chance to come by and try one.:drool:

PedalFreak
05-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Ooh, don't sell them off too quick. I'd like a chance to come by and try one.:drool:

Sure, swing by (or call 1st, just to make sure they arrived on time). I may call & order more if the demand is high enough :)

fernandogardinali
05-13-2012, 04:09 AM
Is the wood solid or laminate?

Zenin
05-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Is the wood solid or laminate?

It's a resonator, would solid would have any sound advantage/difference over laminate in this instance? 99% of the sound should be coming from the cone?

Personally I'd want a laminate (or steel) body resonator for durability and climate stability.

Paul December
05-13-2012, 09:23 AM
:confused: This is strange...
...the Resonator isn't on the Kala website nor anywhere else on the web.
I hope someone at Kala didn't screw-up and send you the wrong info PedalFreak :eek:

ichadwick
05-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Baritone version available?

PedalFreak
05-13-2012, 10:01 AM
:confused: This is strange...
...the Resonator isn't on the Kala website nor anywhere else on the web.
I hope someone at Kala didn't screw-up and send you the wrong info PedalFreak :eek:

It's valid :) gotta call from the Kala offices. The hot em oblast week & Friday they finished QC. They were going to ship fridaynig they had time, but said it'd most likely be Monday.

Baritone version available?
No, just concert & tenor.

And as for resonators, from what I understand a laminate is better. It allows the resonator & cone to do its job without the body flexing to much. Solid wood resonators are flubbier sounding from what I've heard.

Paul December
05-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Please post your impressions of their sound when you get them. I had one of the metal-bodied ones and didn't like its tone. I'm hoping these sound more banjo-like.

Gadzukes!
05-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Kala just tweeted pics (link to Facebook) if anyone is interested.
http://t.co/xG5TvN56

Paul December
05-14-2012, 12:53 PM

Someone please re-post them here for those of us (who live in a cave) without Facebook.

Gadzukes!
05-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Try this: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/465814_10150140344839957_34868244956_1611417_12274 02772_o.jpg

ukuloonie
05-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Got this image from their website (http://kalaukulele.com/index.htm) on the right side of the webpage they have the facebook information there.

looks pretty, like the headstock, Wonder what it'll sound like set up properly.

Paul December
05-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Wow, it does look great. I hope Mim will carry them!

PedalFreak
05-14-2012, 01:04 PM
37844looks pretty, like the headstock, Wonder what it'll sound like set up properly.

My experience the Limited Edition Kala's are pretty decent from the factory. My shop, like other good shops, set them all up when they come through the door, just to be certain :)

I'm looking forward to getting them. I think I'm down to 1 Tenor and 2 Concerts :)

Zenin
05-14-2012, 01:38 PM
http://t.co/xG5TvN56
I'm loving the headstock logo. Much more vintage looking then the normal logo. Most headstock logos look so modern and cheesy/cheap.

The whole look is really nice, clean.

And...my dealer just got a tenor ordered for me, it should be in my hands before the end of the week. Yay!

Yes, I'm buying it sight unseen, but with Kala's typical build quality and $300 out the door it doesn't feel like much of a gamble. I don't think I've seen any other tenor resonator for under a grand.

PedalFreak
05-14-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm loving the headstock logo. Much more vintage looking then the normal logo. Most headstock logos look so modern and cheesy/cheap.

The whole look is really nice, clean.

And...my dealer just got a tenor ordered for me, it should be in my hands before the end of the week. Yay!

Yes, I'm buying it sight unseen, but with Kala's typical build quality and $300 out the door it doesn't feel like much of a gamble. I don't think I've seen any other tenor resonator for under a grand.

Not sure when you, or your dealer ordered it, but as of today Kala is SOLD OUT of these. It'll be 2 months before they get any more :( Was hoping to get more on order.

Paul December
05-16-2012, 05:18 AM
So, have they arrived?:confused:

PedalFreak
05-16-2012, 06:08 AM
So, have they arrived?:confused:

Still waiting :) I gotta call that they didn't start shipping until yesterday, so hopefully we will see them this week, but probably wont be until Monday :(

PedalFreak
05-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Still waiting :) I gotta call that they didn't start shipping until yesterday, so hopefully we will see them this week, but probably wont be until Monday :(

I'll get clips up ASAP when they come in :)

ichadwick
05-19-2012, 01:59 AM
Of the two, tenor will probably sound better. Resonators depend on having sufficient tension on the saddle to make the cone vibrate. Concert ukes don't have a lot, and the nylon strings compound the problem - I had a Republic resonator and it was a nice instrument but I felt it needed more punch. I will have to find a way to get a tenor model up here in Canada.

Kem
05-19-2012, 02:33 AM
Of the two, tenor will probably sound better. Resonators depend on having sufficient tension on the saddle to make the cone vibrate. Concert ukes don't have a lot, and the nylon strings compound the problem - I had a Republic resonator and it was a nice instrument but I felt it needed more punch. I will have to find a way to get a tenor model up here in Canada.

Let the rest of us know if you figure it out.

Paul December
05-22-2012, 07:56 AM
I'll get clips up ASAP when they come in :)

Did they come in? :)

PedalFreak
05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Did they come in? :)

As of 15 minutes ago :D They are really cool! Setup is great on them, looks like they went through and set them all up at the factory.

Clip of the Tenor uke: http://soundcloud.com/aaronwarren/kala-tenor-reso-clip

If anyone wants one give me a call :) Info is below on facebook, Ask for Aaron

Paul December
05-22-2012, 09:25 AM
PM Sent :)

emmaemme
05-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Can anyone that got one of these offer their opinion/review? They look very much like the Republic ones.

AncientMatingCalls
05-28-2012, 01:47 PM
I purchased the tenor model from pedalfreak's shop on Friday. It's got a great sound. Very punchy but also full. It is in dire need of a set up though, the wood they used four the saddle seems much to soft. Eventually ill do a full review.

PedalFreak
05-29-2012, 07:58 AM
I purchased the tenor model from pedalfreak's shop on Friday. It's got a great sound. Very punchy but also full. It is in dire need of a set up though, the wood they used four the saddle seems much to soft. Eventually ill do a full review.

Thanks for stopping in! Sorry I was out of town when you came in. I agree with the saddle material. What didn't you like about the setup? Too low of action? I noticed they set the action lower than normal on them. I was impressed that the nut didn't need to be lowered on them, usually we have to lower them once they come in.

Have fun with it!
Aaron

AncientMatingCalls
05-29-2012, 08:03 AM
The action at the nut was perfect, but a little high up around the twelfth fret. Also I've got some pretty bad intonation issues. It's a great buy overall though.

PedalFreak
05-29-2012, 08:46 AM
The action at the nut was perfect, but a little high up around the twelfth fret. Also I've got some pretty bad intonation issues. It's a great buy overall though.

Did you get the one on the floor? That one I had to restring, it had Aquilas but they broke within 10mins of playing it. So I put D'Addario Nyltech strings on it. Intonation may be the strings, I've been suprised before how much strings can change intonation on a uke.

Zenin
05-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Not sure when you, or your dealer ordered it, but as of today Kala is SOLD OUT of these. It'll be 2 months before they get any more :( Was hoping to get more on order.
I'm a bit unhappy with Kala...

My dealer's local Kala rep assured him that yes, they had a tenor available and would be shipping it to him with the next order. I was stoked!

It didn't arrive in the next shipment because apparently the order when in after it was already packed. No problem, it'll go out in next week's shipment. Disappointed, but understandable and what's another week.

Next week's shipment comes...and no resonator. My dealer calls Kala who then explains, oh sorry...we don't actually have it available like we told you almost two weeks ago now. But end of June, we promise (for the 3rd time)...

So yah...I'm not a happy camper. :-( If I have to wait I have to wait, that's fine. I just really don't appreciate the sketchy communication.

--

Is this usual for Kala's "limited edition" models? That there will be zero notification before the first batch goes out? This UU thread appears to be the only information available anywhere before they were sold out. Is there some magic insiders list I need to be on?

It seems like a retarded way to market something... "Hey everybody, we have this great new model that we know you'll love! You want it don't you? Well tough noogies, we're already sold out! Mahahaha!"

emmaemme
05-30-2012, 10:33 AM

That'd be great.

PedalFreak
05-30-2012, 12:14 PM

My dealer's local Kala rep assured him that yes, they had a tenor available and would be shipping it to him with the next order. I was stoked!

It didn't arrive in the next shipment because apparently the order when in after it was already packed. No problem, it'll go out in next week's shipment. Disappointed, but understandable and what's another week.

Next week's shipment comes...and no resonator. My dealer calls Kala who then explains, oh sorry...we don't actually have it available like we told you almost two weeks ago now. But end of June, we promise (for the 3rd time)...

So yah...I'm not a happy camper. :-( If I have to wait I have to wait, that's fine. I just really don't appreciate the sketchy communication.

--

Is this usual for Kala's "limited edition" models? That there will be zero notification before the first batch goes out? This UU thread appears to be the only information available anywhere before they were sold out. Is there some magic insiders list I need to be on?

It seems like a retarded way to market something... "Hey everybody, we have this great new model that we know you'll love! You want it don't you? Well tough noogies, we're already sold out! Mahahaha!"

I sent you a PM. I got the rest of my order. So I've got 2 Tenors left & 2 Concerts left. May be 1 Tenor if my customer calls me back.

SailingUke
05-30-2012, 12:51 PM

--

I have not been overly impressed with Kala service either. Their ukes are a good value and they have a killer line of accessories, but customer service seems to be a little short.

Season
06-04-2012, 08:40 AM

I hate to say this since Kala usually does a good job but the intonation was so bad on the tenor I returned the one I bought. It felt cheap to me. A great idea that should have had more development before release. Hopefully future models will be improved and they're working on figuring out some kind of pick-up for them.

Zenin
06-11-2012, 01:19 PM
I hate to say this since Kala usually does a good job but the intonation was so bad on the tenor I returned the one I bought. It felt cheap to me. A great idea that should have had more development before release. Hopefully future models will be improved and they're working on figuring out some kind of pick-up for them.

So after my local dealer's order fell through, Aaron saved the say and shipped me a tenor!

I'm not really setup to take a video or such, but I'll try to figure something out if no one else gets a video up first.

I'm loving the sound of it, if anything my only complaint is that the sound is projected forward so well that it's really deceptive how loud it is or what the tone is really like. I can only really get a feel for it while facing a wall or recording it.

The intonation could be better, but it's about as good as anything I've seen without a compensated saddle. The D'Addario Nyltech strings Aaron put on it (I'm assuming he did? I don't know what they look like to tell) might be affecting this as well, I can't really say either way. All said though, it's pretty close and given how much the strings want to stretch still it's honestly hard to accurately measure since they're still detuning as I'm checking the intonation. Once they break in I'm sure that'll be much improved.

I suspect being a resonator also has something to do with being difficult to reliably measure, since it seems to behave much like a banjo in that tightening up one string (or fretting it) presses the bridge down slightly, which reduces tension on all the other strings. I'm finding I have to bring it upto tune much the same as a banjo; bring up all 4 strings at once in a few light passes, rather then tune each string and call it done. It also means you're naturally going to get very different intonation fretting a single string at the 12th fret then you are for that same string if you bar the entire 12th fret.

I've learned to live with it on my banjos, I'm sure I will on the resonator. Close enough for jazz anyway. ;-)

That said, I do want to see about making a replacement biscuit bridge with a compensated saddle (and a pickup).

Zenin
06-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Did you get the one on the floor? That one I had to restring, it had Aquilas but they broke within 10mins of playing it. So I put D'Addario Nyltech strings on it. Intonation may be the strings, I've been suprised before how much strings can change intonation on a uke.
My A string just broke...just sitting in the case. :-/

But now I see where the problem is. The design they used does not use a tailpiece, instead the strings are terminated directly into the cover plate, which means they need to bend 90 degrees around the sharp edge of the metal (typically for a resonator uke). At the lower tension of a soprano or concert I assume it isn't a significant problem.

At the much higher tension of a tenor however, it just cuts the knot end off the string. It might help to round file down the edge a bit, but it is thin sheet metal...there's just not much there to round over.

I need to find my camera and send pictures back to Kala as this is clearly a design flaw (at least at the tenor size), but I think for myself I'm going to try to solve it by buying or making a tailpiece. I much prefer the look a tailpiece on a resonator anyway.

Uke Ounkoun
06-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Hey there,

On ukulele.fr (french forum), some folks suspect the Kala reso to be produced by the same factory (and in fact be just the same) as a republic reso (http://http://www.coule.fr/?p=6874. In fact, they really just look alike.
Anybody have an opinion on this?