Ukulele Pickup -- Which one to install?

musicmonsterw

Reaction score
I've been thinking of installing a pickup in my Kala Acacia Tenor. I am not skilled at anything like this, so I was thinking of getting a luthier to do it. I've heard that a lot ukulele players use the Mi-Si Acoustic 3 pickup. I've also heard that undersaddle pickups like the Mi-Si can tend to be a bit trebly. I've already had some problems with my K-Wave which tends to be trebly. Recently, I contacted a local luthier and she recommended a soundboard transducer pickup like the McIntyre Feather: http://www.acousticon.com/mcintyre.htm

or the Schatten Dualie:
http://schattendesign.com/uke.htm

Does someone out there have experience with these pickups? Do they give a more balanced sound that the Misi?

I'm happy with the Pono Passive that HMS put in my Islander, but I don't have a lot of experience with these to know much better. :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'm looking for something 'natural' sounding.

Check out the D-TAR Timberline ('Seymore' Duncan 'Rick' Turner Acoustic Research) It uses an 18 volt external battery pack which gives it a lot of " headroom" and eliminates the "quacking" often heard in other systems. It's pricey, but really good for that "natural" sound you're looking for.

Check out the D-TAR Timberline ('Seymore' Duncan 'Rick' Turner Acoustic Research) It uses an 18 volt external battery pack which gives it a lot of " headroom" and eliminates the "quacking" often heard in other systems. It's pricey, but really good for that "natural" sound you're looking for.

Thanks, Gary! I will check that out.

I've heard that a lot ukulele players use the Mi-Si Acoustic 3 pickup. I've also heard that undersaddle pickups like the Mi-Si can tend to be a bit trebly. I've already had some problems with my K-Wave which tends to be trebly. . . Do they give a more balanced sound that the Misi?

You probably heard all of that on the Internet.

Aaron

Yeah I forgot to say that I don't find the misi to have any more extra treble than ukes do themselves. In fact, I tend to add a little treble. Everyone has different preferences though, which is why eq exists. :)

Yeah I forgot to say that I don't find the misi to have any more extra treble than ukes do themselves. In fact, I tend to add a little treble. Everyone has different preferences though, which is why eq exists. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

What ricdoug says. Fo' sho'! I have one after his guidance awhile back.

It's really a pity that doesn't have a stereo output!

I have the L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic pre amp, connected to my home stereo with a Y-cable to an aux input and it sounds just fine out of both speakers.

I also, have a piezo transducer pickup which sounds great and is very simple to install!...(I bought a longer endpin jack to fit through the rear wood block of the ukulele).http://www.jjb-electronics.com/PPS-100.html

Last edited:
I made my own transducer pickup for under £4. Sounds brill

Top Bottom