Gimme hope Joanna

A very good choice for the RRR-contest! Interesting introduction in history, specially for the younger UU-viewers. :)

I think we underestimate to power of song in facilitating political and social change.
With songs like Biko, or free Nelson Mnadela and Gimme hope Jo'anna attention is focused
on the injustices inherent in apartheid... and regarding the Vietnam war songs like
Four dead in ohio, Give peace a chance, and Merry christmas war is over if you want it,
greatly influenced the hearts and minds of the people in America.

With The Singing Revolution in Estonia it was such a radical use of song.
People with hands holding hands straight up in the air, swaying with the
singing of the (1947) 'national Estonian anthem': "Estonian I am, and Estonian I will be,
as I was meant to be." "Estonian is a proud and good thing to be. Just like my great grandfathers - free."

Heinz Valk, an artist, recounting the late '80s: "I was so inspired by those nights…
Until now, revolutions have been filled with destruction, burning, killing, and hate,
but we started our revolution with a smile and a song. Each person could go to work
the next day knowing that the Estonian spirit survives" "…the main purpose of which
really was to come together as a nation, and sing this one forbidden song."

If people are on the streets with guns it is so easy to shoot them down, but if 30,000
people are on the streets singing songs about their homeland... what are you going to do?

To get an idea of the spirit of Estonians give a listen to Björk interviews Arvo Pärt
and if that appeals to you then go for Pärt explaining the movements of his composition Alina.
You won't understand a word of it but he speaks with his hands and facial expressions.

Top Bottom