And... another one... New Uke Day! Makala Pearl White Dolphin w/ Aurora Multicolors

wolfchs

UU VIP
Reaction score
So as I hit submit post on my previous post of "New Uke Day" today, I hear the doorbell ring and it's my mailman delivering my Dolphin that I ordered from Mike at Uke Republic. I needed a uke to take with me on my week-long vacation in Key West, which is the reason for this purchase. I must say, after tuning it and playing for a bit, that it sounds great. The strings will need some time to stretch out and it should sound even better (I hope).

Big thanks to Mike at Uke Republic for helping me out with this one! :eek:

Here is a photo of it right next to my Mainland Red Cedar:
Makala Dolphin & Mainland Red Cedar.jpg

That looks awesome! I've been thinking about getting a Dolphin. If I do, I'll have to get it from Mike and ask him to put the cool strings on too. Thanks for sharing!

Nix

Nice, that Dolphin will be right at home swimming around on Key West. You'll have to take it and play at the Sunset Party one evening.

Congratulations! Didn't know they came in white.

Wolfchs,

How long did it take for Uke Republic to respond to you? I left an email to ask if there was an orange dolphin in stock two days ago and I have not received a response. Price is reasonable.. I figured the dophin will cost about $60 which include the aquila strings and set up. The cost is $40 at many stores but does not include the set up and strings.

Wolfchs,

How long did it take for Uke Republic to respond to you? I left an email to ask if there was an orange dolphin in stock two days ago and I have not received a response. Price is reasonable.. I figured the dophin will cost about $60 which include the aquila strings and set up. The cost is $40 at many stores but does not include the set up and strings.

That is strange. He usually responds within a couple hours. I wondered if he is out of town. I would try again. Or call him.

He was out on vacation---he just got back to me too!

BTW, if you want the Aurora strings, it's a $4 upgrade
Wolfchs,

Hard to call that a beater uke...it is so nice..congrats and happy strummings..
Yes I too say Mike has wonderful service..I am sure he will respond...you cannot
be around all the time if you are a one man business...things pop up..try again and
be patient....who knows, maybe cable service may be off or an emergency...can be anything
don't assume things.. and say things pubically unless you really know.that is not fair to Mike

Yes Mike was on vacation last week that was why he did not respond right away. Those are Aurora Silkgut strings I think it's similar to the "ingredients"of Aquilas. They've really stretched out pretty nicely. It's definitely been the uke I take with me when I leave the house or when I'm hanging out in the backyard by the pool or firepit drinking Leinenkugel's :)

aww wolf it's so pretty. Those coloured strings seal the deal. Congratulations on a sweet new uke!!!

SoulReaver, I got a hold of Mike also. Glad I did. Reading the other posts, I don't think anyone is assuming anything. Thanks for the heads up on the Aurora strings. Looks cool. I trying to pick the colors for the dolphins.

Wolf,

How does the sound of the red cedar compare to the dolphin? I have a dolphin with aquilas as my first uke but planning on getting another and keeping the dolphin for travel etc like you. Am looking at a Bruko but if budget stretches would maybe like a Mainland red Cedar Soprano so any comparison you could do would be extremely helpful.

Enjoy

ben

The Mainland red cedar is definitely waaaaay better than the Makala Dolphin. The red cedar is solid wood and looks beeeautiful! I did record some sound files of when it had Aquilas and now it has Martin M600's. I'll post them when i get home.

Those Dolphins bring a smile to your face every time! Congrats!. I love reading everyone's New Uke Day posts.
-joe

Top Bottom