PDA

View Full Version : And... another one... New Uke Day! Makala Pearl White Dolphin w/ Aurora Multicolors

wolfchs
05-12-2012, 07:52 AM
So as I hit submit post on my previous post of "New Uke Day" today, I hear the doorbell ring and it's my mailman delivering my Dolphin that I ordered from Mike at Uke Republic. I needed a uke to take with me on my week-long vacation in Key West, which is the reason for this purchase. I must say, after tuning it and playing for a bit, that it sounds great. The strings will need some time to stretch out and it should sound even better (I hope).

Big thanks to Mike at Uke Republic for helping me out with this one! :o

Here is a photo of it right next to my Mainland Red Cedar:

kvehe
05-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Love the multicolor strings!

nix
05-12-2012, 10:50 AM
That looks awesome! I've been thinking about getting a Dolphin. If I do, I'll have to get it from Mike and ask him to put the cool strings on too. Thanks for sharing!

Nix

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-12-2012, 11:04 AM
That's a stylish uke; congrats!

Steedy
05-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Nice, that Dolphin will be right at home swimming around on Key West. You'll have to take it and play at the Sunset Party one evening.

mds725
05-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Ooooh, pretty! Congratulations on the double new-uke day!

Nickie
05-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Congratulations! Didn't know they came in white.

Prius23
05-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Wolfchs,

How long did it take for Uke Republic to respond to you? I left an email to ask if there was an orange dolphin in stock two days ago and I have not received a response. Price is reasonable.. I figured the dophin will cost about $60 which include the aquila strings and set up. The cost is $40 at many stores but does not include the set up and strings.

webby
05-31-2012, 02:20 AM
What's her name ?

roxhum
05-31-2012, 03:21 AM
Wolfchs,

How long did it take for Uke Republic to respond to you? I left an email to ask if there was an orange dolphin in stock two days ago and I have not received a response. Price is reasonable.. I figured the dophin will cost about $60 which include the aquila strings and set up. The cost is $40 at many stores but does not include the set up and strings.

That is strange. He usually responds within a couple hours. I wondered if he is out of town. I would try again. Or call him.

roxhum
05-31-2012, 03:22 AM
Woohoo congratulations on the sweet new uke

SoulReaver
05-31-2012, 07:59 PM
He was out on vacation---he just got back to me too!

BTW, if you want the Aurora strings, it's a $4 upgrade

Wolfchs,

khairijamian
05-31-2012, 08:11 PM
What string is that? Never had my hands on Dolphin. But surely there's something that makes everyone have their own!

mm stan
05-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Hard to call that a beater uke...it is so nice..congrats and happy strummings..
Yes I too say Mike has wonderful service..I am sure he will respond...you cannot
be around all the time if you are a one man business...things pop up..try again and
be patient....who knows, maybe cable service may be off or an emergency...can be anything
don't assume things.. and say things pubically unless you really know.that is not fair to Mike

wolfchs
06-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Yes Mike was on vacation last week that was why he did not respond right away. Those are Aurora Silkgut strings I think it's similar to the "ingredients"of Aquilas. They've really stretched out pretty nicely. It's definitely been the uke I take with me when I leave the house or when I'm hanging out in the backyard by the pool or firepit drinking Leinenkugel's :)

Hippie Dribble
06-03-2012, 08:27 PM
aww wolf it's so pretty. Those coloured strings seal the deal. Congratulations on a sweet new uke!!!

Prius23
06-04-2012, 03:58 PM
SoulReaver, I got a hold of Mike also. Glad I did. Reading the other posts, I don't think anyone is assuming anything. Thanks for the heads up on the Aurora strings. Looks cool. I trying to pick the colors for the dolphins.

Ben_H
06-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Wolf,

How does the sound of the red cedar compare to the dolphin? I have a dolphin with aquilas as my first uke but planning on getting another and keeping the dolphin for travel etc like you. Am looking at a Bruko but if budget stretches would maybe like a Mainland red Cedar Soprano so any comparison you could do would be extremely helpful.

Enjoy

ben

wolfchs
06-07-2012, 11:12 AM
The Mainland red cedar is definitely waaaaay better than the Makala Dolphin. The red cedar is solid wood and looks beeeautiful! I did record some sound files of when it had Aquilas and now it has Martin M600's. I'll post them when i get home.

joekulele
06-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Those Dolphins bring a smile to your face every time! Congrats!. I love reading everyone's New Uke Day posts.
-joe

Ben_H
06-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I'm hoping the mainland is way better :) .

Can you comment on volume of sound produced by the mainland v dolphin? I'm a little too new to this ukulele mullarkey to start blathering on about tone, warmth and the like (four week uke owner), so general impressions are great.

Oh, and yes I have realised that "loudness" does not equate to greatness but when playing the dolphin with others I do tend to get completely drowned out though that's no bad thing with my current abilities ;)

Ben_H
06-07-2012, 10:05 PM
By the way, my dolphin has already picked up a few scratches and paint chips, courtesy of a "still not delivered padded bag", small children and lots of travel. I managed to get some nail varnish in a matching black and have been using that to touch up the paintwork. (Is it called nail varnish in the States?)

beautifulsoup
06-23-2012, 12:34 PM
So as I hit submit post on my previous post of "New Uke Day" today, I hear the doorbell ring and it's my mailman delivering my Dolphin that I ordered from Mike at Uke Republic. I needed a uke to take with me on my week-long vacation in Key West, which is the reason for this purchase. I must say, after tuning it and playing for a bit, that it sounds great. The strings will need some time to stretch out and it should sound even better (I hope).

Big thanks to Mike at Uke Republic for helping me out with this one! :o

Here is a photo of it right next to my Mainland Red Cedar:

Ooooh - I know there will be a Dolphin in my future...soon! I just can't decide on a color. Although, I did have in the back of my mind earlier today the thought of a white Dolphin with colored strings! Now I see how cool that looks! :)

beautifulsoup
06-23-2012, 12:36 PM
By the way, my dolphin has already picked up a few scratches and paint chips, courtesy of a "still not delivered padded bag", small children and lots of travel. I managed to get some nail varnish in a matching black and have been using that to touch up the paintwork. (Is it called nail varnish in the States?)

Nail polish here in the States. :)