High G string gauge?

drewp

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently upgraded to a Koaloha tenor. I received it strung "linear" (low G) with the original Worth strings on it (I'm told). I'd like to try to string it "re-entrant" just to see what I think. I do think that with low-G it does sound a bit more "guitar-y". Somewhere (I don't remember where) I read where I could replace the 4th string with a classical guitar nylon string (I can purchase these individually). Will this work? If not a great alternative will it at least give me an idea of how the uke will sound re-entrant? THEN, I have not been able to find any advice on what gauge string to buy. I think I saw somewhere in the .029 - .032" range. Does this sound right? Thanks for any advice. I'd rather not have to purchase a whole new set of strings right away until I see which sound I prefer.

For re-entrant or Hi G, use the 1st or E string . . . the string gauge will differ from manufacturers; for example, the diameter of the Savarez E string (541R) is .0244 and .028 for a D'Addario J46 E String.

Last edited:
Kanaka, you mean, "E", the second string? or "A" the 1st string?

I'm sorry . . . you can use the E string of the classical guitar set for re-entrant tuning and the D string for linear tuning.

I have used D'Addario classical strings on my Koaloha, and I now use only the Worth Clears. I have found the D'Addario classical strings to be beautiful sounding but noticeably quieter than the Worths. You might not get a useful idea of the high G sound of your instrument if you mix the two. This experiment may give you a false impression that the ukulele won't sound balanced in high G tuning. I would get a set of Worth clears and replace the low G with the appropriate high G to match the other strings. Then, I'd formulate my opinion.

Top Bottom