New Strings - First Impressions

Aztec

Reaction score
Well, I have had my Kamaka Concert for a few months now and I just could not get used to the black Kamaka strings. I know this may sound odd but the strings felt too hard to the touch and I had to work when depressing them. So, I finally ordered some new Worth Clears and installed them today.

I love the new strings! They definitely feel softer than the black Kamaka strings and they seem to make my Kamaka easier to play. Depressing the strings is now a pleasure and I find my uke more relaxing to play as well.

So, has anyone else come away with the same impression or is the change that I feel purely psychological? Regardless, I am enjoying my uke more today than yesterday :)

Aloha,

Lance

I think it's mostly psychological, unless the previous strings were just complete crap. Having said that, if you think they sound better, then you'll sound better playing them. I could totally fangurl over D'addario t2's on my Kanilea and Koaloha. So sure it's all in our heads, but we make it a selffullfilling prophecy. Enjoy the new strings! :)

If you like the feel and playability of the strings and you like the way they sound . . . by all means, use them. But if you're like everyone else, you'll eventually continue to look for something "better" . . .

I installed Worth Browns on my Kamaka soprano and think they sound excellent—of course the strings that were on it when I got it were the original black strings and were around 30 years old. :)

I really disliked the original Kamaka strings when I got a new Kamaka and changed them to Fremont Black Mediums right away. I don't think it's psychological - I think the Kamaka strings s---, I mean, I think they are less than ideal ;)

Top Bottom