New ukulele day!

ChrisRCovington

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I did it, I got myself a Brüko! I first tried the marketplace forum here and really didn't find what I was looking for. So I figured I could order from Brüko, the only American comapny currently offering them or Thomann. Since I wasn't sure if I'd like the instrument (people say it is a love it or hate it sort of uke) I went with Thomann since it was the cheapest option for me. With shipping and the exchange fee my credit card charged me it cost less than $200 so I can't complain. I ordered the No. 6: one because that it their standard model, two I love the 2-tone headstock and three that's all they sell at Thomann (made it easy for me). I ordered it on Monday (the order went through on Tuesday since I ordered after Thomann closed) and got it today.

So far I am very pleased. It is a solid little ukulele with a great sound. I actually like the stock Pyramid strings and will be keeping them for a while. The instrument is clean, tight and there isn't a single imperfection that I can see. True German craftsmanship. It does have a few features that are different compared to most ukuleles. There is no lining at all inside the box. The bracing is pretty solid. It still feels VERY sturdy but light at the same time. The bridge and saddle are one piece like the old Chicago ukuleles. The neck and fretboard are also one solid piece. It is odd because it isn't just frets set into the neck like old Hawaiian ukuleles there is a fretboard of sorts, it is just integrated into the neck. The frets are textured very finely. The body is solid mahogany and it has one of the sweetest smells. It is like a fine cigar box. It just permeates the air! The neck/fretboard is solid maple and it creates a striking contrast with the mahogany. To be honest I think even with the shipping (30 Euros!) it is still a great deal. Although it is new and I still have that "new toy" feeling about it I can tell you I like it much more than the, often much more expensive, East Asian imports. I hope more people start picking these little ukuleles up in the States. Hand crafted instruments in solid woods for less than $200. Can't beat it!

The last photo is my Brüko No. 6 next to my Martin S1 for reference. They're like two German buddies hanging out drinking beer and eating Wurst together :)

bruko.jpg headstock.jpg bruko fret and neck.jpg bruko and martin.jpg

Last edited:
Happy New Uke Day! I'm expecting a new uke today as well. I'd love to see a close up of the bridge/saddle and hear a sound sample to two.

Oh yeah good idea about the bridge. The other thing that is a little odd is the shape of the neck. It doesn't really have the same sort of taper most ukulele have and the transition into the headstock is strange. Not bad just different from what I am used to. I'm not sure about sound sample... I don't have anything that could do it justice to record with (and my playing might get me banned from UU!). what sort of new ukulele do you have coming today? I hope to see some photos of yours, too!

bridge.jpg neck.jpg

Oh yeah good idea about the bridge. The other thing that is a little odd is the shape of the neck. It doesn't really have the same sort of taper most ukulele have and the transition into the headstock is strange. Not bad just different from what I am used to.
View attachment 37756 View attachment 37757

Interesting, how does that neck feel?

I'm not sure about sound sample... I don't have anything that could do it justice to record with (and my playing might get me banned from UU!).

I know how you feel. I'm certain I won't do justice to my new uke, a Kanile'a K-1 Tenor (and it ain't the recording equipment).

Thanks Ralf!

Hiddencross: The neck is a little thick feeling but it is sort of nice to be honest. It fits my hand well. It reminds me a lot of a Fluke/Flea neck (minimal taper). A Brüko is nice but a Kanile'a is out of my league! I'm showing off my Toyota Camry and you have a Porsche 911 heading your way. Have fun with it! To be honest it isn't the recording equipment for me either.

I'm showing off my Toyota Camry and you have a Porsche 911 heading your way.

But yours was the one made in Germany and mine was made on an island in the Pacific. :) I'm trying not to be to reverent towards the Kanile'a, or I might be afraid to play it and ukes are meant to be played. :music:

congratulations Chris! I love Bruko ukes and the #6 is really pretty with that old timey sound too. Awesome choice mate, have lots of fun with her.

:cheers:

Sadly in my hands it does not sound anywhere near as good as it looks. I do it no justice, but in more skilled hands I bet it could sing like a canary! :)

Aloha Chris,
Congrats on your new Brunko uke...happy strummings... I got a new one too.....woo hoo
I'd put some Martin M600 on your uke...it will improve greatly from the stock strings...

Top Bottom