Freakin' Buzzing! (I Need Help!

beginnerukeman143

Reaction score
So the other day i was playing my uke, and i realized that at the nut the strings had a indentation on them, like that was a mark where they had been on the nut, that (or at least i thought) was creating buzz.

(I have De'Addario J71's)

so I took off the string, and as I was unwinding it it broke. so I decided to change all the strings.

as I was doing so I noticed they all had the marks on them. :confused:

so I restrung them all, then as i was tuning one up, (the G string) it started to buzz, and still has been. (and this wasn't the one that was buzzing before, that was the E string)

and I can definitely tell that the buzz is coming from the top of the 'Ukulele.

so I would love to have help from anyone who could help me. because it is lowering my uke progress to a crawl (it REALLY bugs me

i also just realized as i was stretching out the strings they they are all buzzing..... .and it seems liek it's coming from the nut

Right, first things first - indentations on strings are kinda normal. When a new set goes on the nut can do that and as you stretch them And consequently shorten them the dinks show at the nut end of the uke,

Sounds to me more like you have rough or sharp nut slots, BUT before doing anything drastic, follow this step by step list to isolate it.
http://www.gotaukulele.com/2010/09/buzzes-and-rattles-on-ukulele.html

So the other day i was playing my uke, and i realized that at the nut the strings had a indentation on them, like that was a mark where they had been on the nut, that (or at least i thought) was creating buzz.

(I have De'Addario J71's)

so I took off the string, and as I was unwinding it it broke. so I decided to change all the strings.

as I was doing so I noticed they all had the marks on them. :confused:

so I restrung them all, then as i was tuning one up, (the G string) it started to buzz, and still has been. (and this wasn't the one that was buzzing before, that was the E string)

and I can definitely tell that the buzz is coming from the top of the 'Ukulele.

so I would love to have help from anyone who could help me. because it is lowering my uke progress to a crawl (it REALLY bugs me

More information is needed. What is the brand name of the uke, size, etc.? You say all the strings had marks, where are the marks? Next to the Nut? If so, the slot in the nut could be cutting the string as you tune it up, especially if it is plastic. Does the uke make the buzzing sound if you were to slip something like a nail under the strings next to the nut raising the strings off the frets so they don't hit the frets? If it buzzes more then likely is something on the top, if the buzz goes away, then it is not the top. Try this and get back with a report.

Are you tuning to GCEA? Aren't those J71s for alternate tunings? Check to see if you have enough neck relief.

the brand is Leolani, Tenor size. the marks were next to the nut yes. yes the nut is plastic.

my fingernails aren't long enough to do that lol..

yes i am tuning GCEA

Does the buzz go away when you fret a string? If so, the action may need to be raised at the nut.

Have you made sure the tuners are all tight. I've had a buzz appear out of nowhere at the head end of the uke and get worse until it was a full blown nightmare, only to realize I had a rattling washer on one of the tuners.

Does the buzz go away when you fret a string? If so, the action may need to be raised at the nut.

Have you made sure the tuners are all tight. I've had a buzz appear out of nowhere at the head end of the uke and get worse until it was a full blown nightmare, only to realize I had a rattling washer on one of the tuners.

yes the buzz goes away whenever i fret down, think it is a problem with the nut

yes the tuners are tight.

Top Bottom