PDA

View Full Version : Koaloha friction pegs stiff...???

UK Paulie
05-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Ok I should first say that these are my first ever friction tuners so I have no idea how much of this is in fact my inexperience, or indeed whether they are supposed to be as stiff as they are. They are REALLY stiff. Its quite hard to turn the, so much so that the effort often makes me turn them too much and it goes way sharp/flat etc I wondered whether loosening the screws in them will help or whether anyone has any advice for me. Its a Koaloha KSM-02 longneck soprano by the way. Cheers.

808boy
05-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Aloha UK Paulie,
Just loosen up the screws a little, just enough to be able to turn more freely but still be able to hold tunings...........................BO.............. .............

mm stan
05-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Have you tried some white silicone grease stick....

UK Paulie
05-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the help guys 808-Thanks, I'll try it. Stan- Thanks, I haven't even ever heard of it!! lol What is it? where would I get it? Oh and what exactly would I do with it? LOL Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it.

mm stan
05-14-2012, 04:20 AM
it sorta gives the contact of the tuners and wood surface less friction ...sorta like a oil in a motor..
I'm not sure where you get it in the UK..try a hardware store.. I bought mine at Sears and Robuck
Department store tool section.. that and loosen the screw will make it smoother..

RyanMFT
05-14-2012, 05:46 AM
KoAloha uses excellent quality tuners. Adjust the screw a bit. The tighter the screw, the more friction between the tuner and the wood of the headstock. I adjust my friction tuners so that they are a just tight enough not to slip. You shouldn't need grease, if anything, a tiny drop of quality lubricant on the thread of the screw, but I would be surprised if it took anything more than a screw adjustment.

coolkayaker1
05-14-2012, 06:43 AM
And if these suggestions don't work, call KoAloha directly and complain about the tight friction tuners, and let them know you'll forget the whole thing if they send you a koa tenor this time. Those have geared tuners.

UK Paulie
05-14-2012, 10:50 AM
And if these suggestions don't work, call KoAloha directly and complain about the tight friction tuners, and let them know you'll forget the whole thing if they send you a koa tenor this time. Those have geared tuners.

What it must be to be that bitter of a person...all you ever do is snipe at people in these threads. The green eyed monster sure gets ugly...

bazmaz
05-16-2012, 07:03 AM
as 808 boy says - just back off the screws a little - you won't break them - in fact you can take them apart and they easily go back together - just want to get the screw tight enough to hold without slipping. I would unscrew them a lot so the pegs are dead loose, then tighten until you feel a bit of resistance, then tighten up whilst testing from there.

I have a Koaloha with frictions, and their choice of friction pegs is superb.