How A Sad Dad Was Blessed On Mother's Day...

H

Hippie Dribble

hi everyone

many of you probably know that, for health reasons, I was forced to resign from my much beloved job a few months back. Since then has been the standard depression/self-esteem stuff rearing up and we've had a few financial struggles; consequently, I've since sold all my ukes but one to keep things rolling. I've been so thankful to the UU members who've bought my ukes over this time - especially Campbell - and the generosity of spirit that has been shown to us.

Not often I'm lost for words but today was one such day...

My parents drove up from Hobart to spend Mum's Day w/end with us...they live 3 hours drive south, in Hobart, and we only see them every few months, so it was a special weekend. The kids love Nan and Pa to bits and it's always a good time. After lunch I gave mum her prezzie like always and the kids and I gave eugenie hers, then came the surprise.

To backtrack: maybe 4 weeks ago I pointed out a sweet looking uke to eugenie one night when we were on the net. I've done this a million times before. nothing else said. Turns out she rang mum and dad next day and they went and bought it for me.

After the presents were given today dad went out to his car and brought in this exact ukulele and gave it to me. Couldn't speak...I guess the sadnesses of recent times overflowed, i shed a few tears and was just overwhelmed. Sheesh...and I thought mother's day was for the mums...all the while they were thinking of me. The uke is a concert collings one, made out of mahogany. Still a bit dumbfounded and beyond grateful.

We're just about to head over to eugenie's mum's for dinner so I must go for now. Mum and dad are gonna stay home and watch 'Dancing With The Stars'. I spent awhile this afternoon changing the strings and stretching and twisting them to get them settled. It sounds lovely as you'd expect such a uke to do. The sentimental value of this uke makes it priceless in my eyes.

I was an only child and pretty much a fringe dweller, eccentric and self contained my whole life. But I'm reminded of the preciousness of family and how much we need each other. Loneliness is not a good place to be, and the love of family as expressed as it was to me today is hard to quantify. Despite the tough times our family is closer than it's ever been right now. I feel so blessed and fortunate to have a mum and dad, a wife and children who I adore and who have a place in their hearts for me too.

Don't want to get all preachy and religious on you, but I was drawn to 1Corinthians 13 this afternoon...we may or may not have many things, but we are nothing if we don't have love

Happy Mother's Day to all the mum's on the UU and beyond. :)

such a nice story here,sorry to hear about the problems youve been having. hope you have a great timecwith your special new uke.

Great story. Don't you ever ever sell that uke!

Aloha My Bruddah from Down Undah,
What a pleasant surprise it was for you I bet. Good on you to be loved the way you are. All the ukes in the world cannot compare to the love you have around you and on this site.
Blessings to you and yours.
Your friend till the end,...............................BO........................

Glad to hear you got a pleasant surprise. I hope this help to perk you up. Mom's are definitely great.

Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
I know you have been having some rough times..and I have been praying for you...you are one of my best friends here...Darn I can't go a day without worrying for you....I wish we
all lived alot closer...and we can support each other....Thank you for sharing your story with us....it is a tear dropper and it touched my heart deeply...In all you pain, you have a
deeply loving family who cares for you mate...isn't that the most important thing in life that is most precious to you...I am sure you will cherish that uke forever, I am glad for you...I pray your
health improves and things get better for you as you are one of the nicest person I know mate...Take Care and More of God's Blessings.....Your friend, Stan... wish I could do more for you..

You are a very blessed man. I know of your troubles, but your family can make all those problems seem small. I know this from experience. God bless you and keep you. He will bring you through.

What a touching story. I'm of a similar cut to you, as you know. Getting a uke like that has such meaning and we're at a loss to express just what it does mean. I'll just say that sometimes... Just sometimes... good things happen to good people? You deserve to have a good break!

Jon, I'm sorry for your struggles. I'm happy for your blessings; you certainly deserve these gifts, and more. Hope things continue to improve.

What a great story to start Mother's Day. During tough times it's rare to recognize just how fortunate we are. That gesture by your family, whether it was a Dolphin or a Collings, is indeed the greatest gift.

All the best to you and your family...

PS you know we'll need pics and a performance.

Eugene Ukulele, you write well. Have you ever considered writing a book. If you self-publish via Amazon's Kindle Store (Kindle Direct Publishing), you might turn a fun project into a steady income. I have written five books and my "royalties" come monthly.

Congratulations on a wonderful day, Jon. Sometimes the unexpected things in life can put a big smile on your face, eh? Or a tear in your eye.

Nice way to start our day here Jon with a wonderful story. Yes, family is precious and your family obviously really cares for you. Oh yes, on father's day, you need to do something really nice for Eugenie!! :) May you and your family have a wonderful day today. We all pray that your financial and personal health problems come around for you. Lozark

Thanks for that great story, buddy! And congrats on the new uke. You hang in there, and remember, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
We're here for you!

You are blessed. Sometimes in life we see the cup as half empty until someone or something makes us realize it is really half full.

Good day Jon, I am expressed with and honored by your authenticity and openness. Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are are an extraordinary person and that is true of Eugenie as well. Ditto on the writing idea and keep those cds coming. Congratulations on your ukulele, you deserve all the love.

Top Bottom